Apple Blames Users for Exploding iPhones

Status
Not open for further replies.

NegativeX

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Never, should any consumer, electronic device explode under any circumstance, period. (unless you're straping dynamite to it)

I don't care if you take a axe to it. The fact that these devices CAN explode, shows a problem, regardless.

G

Fixing things is my job. Destruction is one of my favorite past-times. In my experience with both areas, overheating batteries or electrical components don't explode, they fizzle and smoke. If these people claimed their iPhone melted in their pocket and burned them, I'd say it's possible. Exploding? Doubtful.

P.S. Apple needs to do something serious to turn around all this negative press they've been getting this past year (lower prices maybe???)...

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Sounds like the overheating problem. "This is not a design flaw of the 3G S. You are not supposed to use your iPhone if you live in the south. The device is not meant to be used if it is hot outside."

Jokes aside, I can't imagine that tiny battery inside the iPhone could erupt with enough force to launch the phone 10+ feet into the air or shatter the glass. The glass is glued to the device it would take quite a bit of force to cause it to shatter into projectiles.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
It sounds like Apple is trying to say:

Hey, we sell you the C4 without the remote. You blow yourself and it ain't our fault.

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Wonder if thats the truth?

Also, it sort of sounds fishy that most of the cases of exploding iPhones were in the last summer.... why weren't there any before?

G

Because this last summer is when the new line of iPhone came out?

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I think all the the ixplode cases are fluff...

I have used my iphone for gaming and it has gotten quit hot, really hot in fact but it hasnt exploded... I can't help but think these people are doing something to make this happen.

If i tease that dog long enough i will eventually get bit. If i drink and drive eventualy i will crash... I i play games non stop on iphone eventualy ixplode!

User error.

cybrcatter

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
"external force", huh? I was under the impression that the device was meant for external force since it is a touchscreen device with no keypad. I guess users should start yelling commands instead.

G

I can just imagine this playing out before... "To date, there are no confirmed exploding gas tank incidents for Pinto's and the number of reports we are investigating is very low. The Pinto's that have exploded that we have analysed to date show that in all cases the explosion is due to an external force that was applied to the Pinto's gas tank."

Even Ford had to eventually publicly admitted it was a design flaw they tried to cover up. It's a poor company that blames the user when they have not taken into account the user's safety when their product is 'damaged'.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
In case you haven't heard about it, Apple tried to cover up by giving a full refund. Regardless of the actual truth, it is a very bad business practice, almost unethical. If the allegations are false, Apple could always file defamation suits which we have not seen yet. And of course, those exploding stories are not without merit too. One has to wonder making an ipod/iphone slim as it is, how can heat dissipate from within?

Status
Not open for further replies.