Apple Could Lose Rights to iPad Name in China

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom][Don't be upset you sold the rights for a measly $55,000. Even back in 2009 everyone and his dog knew about the iPod and iPhone. Surely someone could see the value in the iPad trademark and decide to hold onto it instead of letting it go for that sum. Wonder who the idiot was that agreed to that amount?[/citation]
1) Negotiations like this for unreleased products are typically done in proxy by law firms. Proview/Taiwan most likely had no way to tell if were negotiating with Apple, or with a speculator betting on Apple picking iPad as the name for its tablet. Big companies do this precisely for the reasons you've outlined - if people knew they were negotiating with Apple, they'd ask for more money knowing that the buyer had deep pockets.

2) The iPad was named iPad in large part due to the low price Apple paid for the name. If Proview/Taiwan had demanded a gazillion dollars for the rights to the name iPad, Apple simply would have named it something else.

G

"Failing that rename it Megatron just to mess with Hasbro"

I thought messing with Hasbro was Asus' thing.
Asus Transformer Prime anyone?

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]acerace[/nom]You make me laugh quiet loud.[/citation]
How do you laugh quiet loud? That is so not funny hilarious!!

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]Hey Apple, if your product was MADE IN AMERICA you would not have to worry about that now would ya? Jack Ass![/citation]

Don't be an idiot, there would still be a problem with iPads in Shanghai. Besides that, you're being an @$$ to the rest of the world. The USA is not the only country worth living in. We have our problems here in the USA, just like everyone else has their problems elsewhere.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Don't be an idiot, there would still be a problem with iPads in Shanghai. Besides that, you're being an @$$ to the rest of the world. The USA is not the only country worth living in. We have our problems here in the USA, just like everyone else has their problems elsewhere.[/citation]
Ah, I see reading comprehension is an issue with you. Please note the bold face on the words and exports. It's OK, I knew at least one person would have a problem with reading comprehension. And for the record, I don't live in America, ass. I am an American, but have lived outside of it for about 20 years because I know very well of the problems in the US. And I was not excluding, "the rest of the world". Just China.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]Ah, I see reading comprehension is an issue with you. Please note the bold face on the words and exports. It's OK, I knew at least one person would have a problem with reading comprehension. And for the record, I don't live in America, ass. I am an American, but have lived outside of it for about 20 years because I know very well of the problems in the US. And I was not excluding, "the rest of the world". Just China.[/citation]

Reading comprehension? I could say the same about you. Imports would still be ruined, and since 3 out of 5 Apple stores are in China (according to this article), Apple would still have iPad problems in China. Moving to America could solve the problem of exporting, as you suggested, but that would still leave Apple crippled. Am I an ass for pointing this out? No, but I do admit that my word choice was overly offensive in my previous comment. However, my point remains. Please note how I didn't refute that moving to America could help with the export problem of selling to countries outside of China.

Besides, you said move to the USA, not any other country or a list of countries, so yes you did leave out everywhere except for the USA. You might want to check up on reading comprehension of your own posts.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
@blazorthon
No, I did not leave anything out. I said move to the US because they are an American company. I know full well that sales in China will not be helped, but I really do not care at all about that as China's court system will decide that. I, on the other hand, bleed red white and blue. I have served my country and want large AMERICAN companies to think about AMERICAN'S. They make Apple products in China because they are very under paid and treated badly. Not because American's are over paid! If you don't like that then I really do not care.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]@blazorthon No, I did not leave anything out. I said move to the US because they are an American company. I know full well that sales in China will not be helped, but I really do not care at all about that as China's court system will decide that. I, on the other hand, bleed red white and blue. I have served my country and want large AMERICAN companies to think about AMERICAN'S. They make Apple products in China because they are very under paid and treated badly. Not because American's are over paid! If you don't like that then I really do not care.[/citation]

You don't need to care about Apple selling products in China, but Apple does. China is Apples largest market and they can't afford to lose it without repercussions effecting their customers in other countries. If you care about Apple products, then you should care about this too. What China's court system decides could very well effect Apple in every other market, including the USA and whatever country you currently reside in even if Apple moved to the USA or some other country.

If this goes through, then Apple will have trouble selling iPads anywhere and everywhere. Also, you can want large companies to support Americans all you want, but almost all large companies (and most small ones too) are out for themselves and have no intention of truly supporting anyone else, even if they are customers. It doesn't matter what country the company is from, they don't support you, me, nor any other consumers. They don't think about us. They think about how we can be used to further their goals. I'd also like it if companies actually cared about us, but they don't and from the looks of things now it's just a pipe dream.

I never said Americans are overpaid, many of us are underpaid too. Yes, Apple went to /china for the cheap labor and legal exploitation of it's employees and affiliate companies' employees (cough Foxconn cough). If they moved to a country such as the USA where they would need to pay their employees much more and would need to give them a better working environment and better benefits, then they would undoubtedly raise prices or skimp out of quality on some thing(s).

I don't care if you care about this, but we should both have some understanding of how Apple likes to operate and that is summed up as unfairly to everyone besides themselves. You don't need to like this (I don't, but the truth often hurts in such situations) and I don't think that you should, but you're entitled to your opinion nonetheless.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
@okibrian

Also, yes you did leave the other plausible countries out. You didn't mention them in your first post and it doesn't matter what you meant because of that. It is impossible to assume that when you say "move to the USA" that you really mean move out of China and to a different country that can be the USA, what you said means that only the USA was considered.

You can try to explain that away, but I responded to what you said, not some impossible to guess inherent meaning behind what you said that contradicts what you actually said. When you say USA, you actually mean anywhere other than China? Please explain to me how I was supposed to know what you meant, especially due to the huge discrepancy between the meanings of what you meant to say and what you actually typed and posted.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Before that happens however, Apple will be facing off against Proview in a Shanghai courtroom on February 22. Proview hopes to win an injunction in that court which would affect all of Shanghai province.

Shanghai is not a province, it's a municipality :p

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Quarter of the worlds population live in China, that's a big marketplace to get stiffed in, Apple needs to win this one and they won't be settling out of court either, Chinese courts are harsh

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]acerace[/nom]You make me laugh quiet loud.[citation][nom]acerace[/nom]Pardon?[/citation]
[/citation]

Quiet = Making little or no noise...
Quite = To a considerable extent or degree...

It's a small typo, but in this case, a pretty confusing one. I also was confused to what you meant until I figured out what you were trying to mean.

But on topic;

Still, I don't think it's going to matter one way or the other. Apple will just drag it out until the company no longer exists. The only thing that might be a thorn to apple is if somehow the courts did stop the imports/exports temporarily. Otherwise it's only something for Apple's lawyers to do for a few months.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"Quarter of the worlds population live in China, that's a big marketplace to get stiffed in"

Well, more like a fifth, but close enough. Not sure it really pushes them up too high given that a very small percentage of those people earn enough to buy most of Apple's products.

From an 'Economics Times' article, plus some math, here are the average net worths, by country [only nine were mentioned, so fill in the rest with your imagination]:

Italy $193k
UK $188k
France $187k
USA $168k
Japan $168k
Germany $143k
*world average* $28k
China $12k
Indonesia $8k
India $3k
The world, without the top six, $12k

I think Apple, despite the huge amount of total money in China, is far more interested in the markets where the average person can spend $500-1000 on a tablet without giving up necessities...

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]"Quarter of the worlds population live in China, that's a big marketplace to get stiffed in"Well, more like a fifth, but close enough. Not sure it really pushes them up too high given that a very small percentage of those people earn enough to buy most of Apple's products.From an 'Economics Times' article, plus some math, here are the average net worths, by country [only nine were mentioned, so fill in the rest with your imagination]:Italy $193kUK $188kFrance $187kUSA $168kJapan $168kGermany $143k*world average* $28kChina $12kIndonesia $8kIndia $3k The world, without the top six, $12kI think Apple, despite the huge amount of total money in China, is far more interested in the markets where the average person can spend $500-1000 on a tablet without giving up necessities...[/citation]

I won't refute that info since I don't care to look into it right now, but it has been staed many times that 3 out of 5Apple stores are in China. That tells me that Apple cares about China, possibly to a fault. Now I dislike Apple, but I don't think they are stupid enough to have most of their stores in a place where they can't sell enough products to make it worth their time, although I wouldn't outright say they are't stupid enough.

Considering the great success Apple is seeing, I think that China is a huge market for them right now, regardless of the average person's net worth. Maybe China has so many people that there are still enough people in China that can afford Apple's overpriced products.

Status
Not open for further replies.