Apple Discloses Component Suppliers of iPad, iPhone, iPod

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Good on marketing and legal side since their image was starting to get affected by suicides and explosions in factories.

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Issue: Loss of lives in one or more facilities.

Apple response: We required facilities to train their employees to properly keep themselves alive to reduce attrition rates due to death to acceptable levels.

... some people on the report do look underage.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I'm not exactly an Apple fan, but that at least seems to show a little corporate responsibility. Let's just hope some Wikileaks undercover thing does not dig up some dirt to disgrace the applaudable effort.

Yeah, it's me; Glass Half Empty Boy :)

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Apple's commitment:

We regularly commit audits to make it seem like we're concerned about our employee working conditions to maintain our spotless public image. If these facilities are found to be unethical, we will wave our finger at them and tell them not to do it again, then walk off with no further sanction. We will however continue to use these facilities...cause I mean, what do you expect us to do...hire american? Those guys have UNIONS.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
child labor in a large portion of the world isnt there because its cheap labor, but its really the only way those people eat, or have any quality of life.

i know one area, forgot the country, one of the child laborers said that it was either that or prostitution.

lets also not forget that the "sweat shops" usually pay better than other jobs in that area/country.

you cant force first world views on impoverished third world countries.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]child labor in a large portion of the world isnt there because its cheap labor, but its really the only way those people eat, or have any quality of life. i know one area, forgot the country, one of the child laborers said that it was either that or prostitution.lets also not forget that the "sweat shops" usually pay better than other jobs in that area/country. you cant force first world views on impoverished third world countries.[/citation]

Agree. Although might sound bad to us with different view and system, it's the way of life there. And it's not factories or corporate giants to blame, it's the local government.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
What age is considered child labour and what are they doing? I had a job when I was 12 picking berries at a farm. There are jobs kids can do and enjoy doing, and it's a harmless way to make money. As others have pointed out, sometimes the only way some families can survive over there.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
The same rationale people here and abroad provide for child labour are the same arguments people were giving a century ago to lobby against Child Labour laws.

It's not just "local" governments to blame. It's the people demanding (ie. hiring) and labour regulators at fault here. I'm not blaming a company who wrongfully was duped into hiring someone underaged but companies knowingly and intentionally hire some underage since they tend to work for less money, hence increase their profits.

It's quite basic and general knowledge to know that the strict enforcement of child labour laws is a net positive for society and the economy over time.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Basically almost everything you import is made in places where underage labor is used or the Government treats it people like crap or the average person lives on $3 a day, etc. That's the harsh truth.

The other harsh truth is that as long as you can get cheap cheesburgers, cable TV and have internet to post pictures on Facebook the average American couldn't give a monkeys if those foreign factories were powered by furnaces running on dead babies.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
back_by_demand: When products / brands are known to use child labour or sweetshops the negative publicity is immense. Clothing makers found to have used child labour (knowingly and even unknowingly) have had sales fall.

I still remember the "scandal" regarding Kathie Lee Gifford in 1996. And there are examples throughout the years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathie_Lee_Gifford#1996_sweatshop_scandal

People do give a crap, not always and not for all injustices but there are many examples in the past and present where deplorable working conditions have led to changes.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
More Apple propaganda. Companies concerned about environmental issues make products that can be serviced, not ones that require replacement when their battery fails.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]bejabbers[/nom]Apple products are made by foxconn.... enough said.I wouldn't touch a foxconn component with a 10 foot pole.[/citation]

So you don't use any Apple, Microsoft, Acer, Asus, Barnes & Noble, Dell, Cisco, HP, Intel, IBM, Lenovo, Logitech, MSI, Motorola, Netgear, Nintendo, Nokia, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, Toshiba, Vizio.

Foxcomm may not make all the products from the above companies, but the above companies do use Foxconn.

So how do you verify what you buy does not have a Foxconn component? Do you know who manufacturers all the components in what you buy?

G

China's authoritarian regime has a terrible human rights record. During apartheid, American universities were at the forefront of the movement to boycott South Africa. Where is that moral high ground when these same universities make deal after deal with China? There was very little cost for those universities to divest from South Africa but now they are deeply dependent on these investments and deals with China. The American economy and national security are endangered by these deals. Read more at www.china-threat.com

darkrydr3

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Do you really trust Apple, a company that drives its business practices on profit margin, to fully disclose everything? Some of the information might not be the worst case stories out there.

pnorman

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Foxconn components are used by everyone these days. As problematic as they are, I think they're better than the small Chinese companies with no QC or oversight of any kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.