Apple Investigating Wi-Fi Issues with the New iPad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
In a related story...PC manufacturers announces they will not investigate customer complaints about low-resolution, low-quality LCD panels used in 95% of mobile products.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]One of my co-workers brought her new ipad at work to see if any of us will be able to help her with that, as well. She could not connect to 3 different networks, 2 of them unprotected. I don't think this is an isolated issue; now she has a good looking over-sized paperweight. Goes to show you that no company is immune to flaws.[/citation]
Nah, its not a paperweight. You can use it as a stylish chopping board too.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]gshauger[/nom]I just love hearing about problems with Apple products...brings a smile to my face[/citation]
Same here, and I own one of the new iPads (no issues so far, fingers crossed).

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]TEAMSWITCHER[/nom]In a related story...PC manufacturers announces they will not investigate customer complaints about low-resolution, low-quality LCD panels used in 95% of mobile products.[/citation]

Right.....

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
[citation][nom]TEAMSWITCHER[/nom]In a related story...PC manufacturers announces they will not investigate customer complaints about low-resolution, low-quality LCD panels used in 95% of mobile products.[/citation]

Who complains? You get what you pay for. If you check reviews and consumer sites you'll see know one complains about the ASUS Transformer screen or the Samsung Galaxy tab's. For the low end market what do you expect? Good hardware and low price?

lp231

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
The ipad has many uses when your wifi don't work
When you attach a stick to it, it becomes
fly swatter
spatula
an oar
spanking stick
popsicle
a spear
a shovel

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
It's seem obviously to me. Apple cut in energy use. Less power for the wifi, less signal.
They're just no self aware of the problem they cause.
Every products except perhaps the version 1 have problems.
We see this with product like iPhone 4 and it's "integrate the antenna".

G

ericburnby has the best comment here so far.

I think that the majority of the posters here are either kids or just really dumb. But of course most of you lot are the people that put serious cash into useless video cards, for games that don't look any better than console stuff, only to play them on a crappy TN monitor.

Going off-topic, the ipads will be the best tablets unless the other boys drop the slow-as-molasses android and bring something new to the table. Also, it'll probably be apple that'll drop high ass ppi monitors into the laptop and desktop space first.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I had the misfortune of having to use the iPhone 4s with its meager 512 meg or ram right next to my Samsung Galaxy s2 this past Friday. Sad for people who are subjected to the incredible mediocrity of Apple products.

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
[citation][nom]Miharu[/nom]It's seem obviously to me. Apple cut in energy use. Less power for the wifi, less signal.They're just no self aware of the problem they cause.Every products except perhaps the version 1 have problems.We see this with product like iPhone 4 and it's "integrate the antenna".[/citation]

I don't have this issue at all, my Ipad works fine so I'm not sure if that is the issue.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Dark Comet: Sorry, I just badly explain the issue.
Basicly I just wanna tell: Apple want to be use less power with the New iPad.
They worked that way... but that cause some problem.
Most Apple product worked that way.
And to resume the issue, it's just New iPad Wifi doesn't work well if you're far from your router. At some point far from your router, if you take an iPad 2 VS a new IPad, the iPad2 work with half signal when the New iPad doesn't have any signal.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Miharu[/nom]Dark Comet: Sorry, I just badly explain the issue.Basicly I just wanna tell: Apple want to be use less power with the New iPad.They worked that way... but that cause some problem.Most Apple product worked that way.And to resume the issue, it's just New iPad Wifi doesn't work well if you're far from your router. At some point far from your router, if you take an iPad 2 VS a new IPad, the iPad2 work with half signal when the New iPad doesn't have any signal.[/citation]
Doesn't explain why its not affecting more units though. You'd think that it would be an even greater issue in the 4G models as there is even more power drain thanks to the cell transceiver.

eddieseven

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
FFS, technology moves onwards and upwards. Let Apple do their bit and improve what is already a worldbeating product and make it more so.
Yes, I have an Iphone. Why? because it does music better than any other phone I tried.
That's my Bag. If your bag is summat else then yes, Android do better sat nav. And of course, Android is the better OS!
Now wouldnt it be brilliant if the two could somehow merge and give us the very best in the latest of tech!
Unfortunately, everyone wants to be a billionare and thats exactly why we slowly go forwards instead of leaps and bounds.
I do wonder however why someone would like billions in a lifetime when its completely impossible to spend!

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieseven[/nom]Let Apple do their bit and improve what is already a worldbeating product and make it more so.Yes, I have an Iphone. Why? because it does music better than any other phone I tried.[/citation]

Someone has been at the koolaid again haven't they. i devices are horrible at music compared to even the old zunes, and the UI is just dreadful. For a company that keeps on being lauded for its user friendliness they sure don't know shit about actually delivering a user interface that lets you achieve what you want with the fewest clicks.

mrpijey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
I guess I am one of the lucky ones... I had the iPhone 4 when it came out and never had any antenna issues. I had all three iPads without any issues with the screens, 3G or Wifi. And I got all devices the same day they were released.

As for you haters: Go back under the rock you came from. I've seen far more serious issues with devices that were far less popular than this one, but their issues never hit the press since no one is interested in reading about some problems with some random Android or WP device. However it seems popular to just nag at Apple... ah well, doesn't matter. I am happy with my devices and so are so many others.

cmi86

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
Haha I swear, do they test any of this i-crap before they peddle the nice shiny exterior and inherent awesomeness of buying an apple product to the masses of brainless sheep that blindly buy their over priced garbage electronics ?

Status
Not open for further replies.