Apple iOS sharing bluetooth connected device through RDP client?

dhegler

Estimable
Apr 14, 2014
Just wondering if anyone can help me out... We have a special Windows-based app that diagnoses equipment when hooked up to a serial port. We typically use laptops for the job, but all of our technicians carry iPads. I realize I cannot run a Windows app on an iPad, and an iPad does not have a serial or USB port, BUT it does have bluetooth. Is there any way I can use an RDP client to remote into a machine/server that runs the software, and have the RDP client emulate a COM port for the connected bluetooth device? I know RDP sessions pass through printers on LTP (or whatever they are called) ports... Does this at all sound possible to anyone? It would just be SO much more efficient for us.

Solution
You're asking too much from a closed echosystem like iOS. Even standard Windows RDP client does not offer serial port redirection. You can get your technicians $400 Windows Tablets, and do the job.

dhegler

Estimable
Apr 14, 2014
Thank you, but $400 and another device to carry around is what I wanted to try to get away from. Some of our technicians are not the most technically-inclined, hence using iPads as their main work device - much more user-friendly to someone who may not have grown up typing "cd\windows" into DOS or even having much experience with Windows O/S'es.