Apple is Talking About the New iPhones Right Now

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation]Now for a review of what Apple's product groups. Starting with the Mac, Mac OS X Lion has been downloaded 6 million times. Of course, it's offered mainly as a digital download. Apple boasts that it took Windows 7 20 weeks to get to the same install base.[/citation]
Dear Mr. Tim Cook the Mac OS X 10.7 was launched 76 days back. 76 days after the launch of Windows 7, it already had a market share 3% higher than all Mac OS X combined.

istank

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]It all boils down to the fact that the PowerVR SGX 543 GPU in the A5 package is better than the GPU used in the Tegra2 package.. You can ignore them and make all the excuses you want but the benchmarks prove my case unless you think Toms is biased and lying.. http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 014-6.html[/citation]

I am not ignoring the benchmarks. Speedy rendering is nice, too bad it looks like junk. You cannot focus on one aspect and expect to hold the lead for long.

Guess it doesn't matter after this failure of an announcement. The specs of the 4S makes it just below or equivalent to devices that are already on the market or will be released soon.

Which only confirms my other theory. Apple's development cycle is too slow to compete in the market it once dominated. After all what good is have what is claimed to be the "fastest"

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]Why would I buy a $200 droid and then need an mp3 player on top of that to store my music when I could just use an iphone? Some of you will say "you can put music on a droid too," but to me, it just isn't the same.[/citation]
How is it not the same? I use my Incredible as my MP3 player and it works perfectly, except for the fact that I don't need iTunes to sync the songs to my Droid. It might not seem the same to you but actually it is.

i7Rocks

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]How is it not the same? I use my Incredible as my MP3 player and it works perfectly, except for the fact that I don't need iTunes to sync the songs to my Droid. It might not seem the same to you but actually it is.[/citation]

No, its different and hard to learn, the play button is totally out of place and without iTunes I don't even have music so how would it work without it???? plus my white headphones dont match androids so that's not gonna work either :(

istank

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]Except for having the most powerful CPU/GPU package you can purchase in a phone, there is absolutely nothing..[/citation]

Enjoy the title.... How long until the Tegra 3 hits? Talk about behind the curve in the development cycle.

BTW isn't Apple suing the maker of its A5? How long before you think that supply gets cut short?

istank

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]istank[/nom]Apple is about to fail harder than Steve Jobs' liver.[/citation]

Wow, looks like I nailed this one.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]It all boils down to the fact that the PowerVR SGX 543 GPU in the A5 package is better than the GPU used in the Tegra2 package.. You can ignore them and make all the excuses you want but the benchmarks prove my case unless you think Toms is biased and lying.. http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 014-6.html[/citation]
Well have to wait and see how it will stack against the Galaxy S 2.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
It's great that the new phone has dual-core processor (for those that think that's important) and a dual-core GPU (for those that think that's important). So some can play more/better games on their phones. Hurray? ...but for most people...who cares. Oh wait, I can do fancy voice commands to the new phone. Is that a feature people really care about? Really? Really?

I'm not one of the blind THG-Forum Apple haters but releasing what should have been the original iPhone 4 as an upgrade is just not exciting.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]You could've just said people buy the iphone because its a good, solid phone that is both appealing and meets peoples' everyday needs. I'm not an Apple fanboy but c'mon..lets not sugarcoat something we know is envyingly true. I mean c'mon, you combine an ipod with a phone thats exactly what everybody wants. Why would I buy a $200 droid and then need an mp3 player on top of that to store my music when I could just use an iphone? Some of you will say "you can put music on a droid too," but to me, it just isn't the same.[/citation]

yeah your high.. all my phones since 2007 have had mp3 player ability. my windows,android, and feture phones all had it. there is nothing special about the iphone never will be. all apple does is take current existing products and put an apple on them. they arent doing anything that hasnt already been done a million times.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation] they arent doing anything that hasnt already been done a million times.[/citation]

Please point me to all the other phones that have the same pixel-per-inch count as the iPhone 4, maybe there's some with 4" screens since, according to you, there's so many of them.

I'm not excited by today's news but it sure did fuel the Apple hating troll in many commenters.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I frankly think iOS5 is not very exciting at all. Android introduces major features every few months; Apple takes up to a year to do the same, and the features are often half-baked (read: push notifications).

At the same time, being able to offer both black and white phones at launch must be a breakthrough for Apple. /s

inthere

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I'm a music business professional for 25 years and I've had 3 Android Phones (Dell Streak, Sony Xperia, and Google Nexus) and none of the 3 could touch the iPhone in sound quality. Not ready to go through the whole lineup of Android devices to find something that competes.

iPhone 4S? I think I'll wait for the 5.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom][citation] they arent doing anything that hasnt already been done a million times.[/citation]Please point me to all the other phones that have the same pixel-per-inch count as the iPhone 4, maybe there's some with 4" screens since, according to you, there's so many of them. I'm not excited by today's news but it sure did fuel the Apple hating troll in many commenters.[/citation]
Other phones don't have a pixel density that high because it's irrelevant. As most tests have proved you can't tell the difference unless the phone is really close to your eyes.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Other phones don't have a pixel density that high because it's irrelevant. As most tests have proved you can't tell the difference unless the phone is really close to your eyes.[/citation]

I must have super eyes (I don't) I can tell the difference and the difference doesn't seem irrelevant. That said, the Super AMOLED screens are beautiful too.

istank

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom][citation] they arent doing anything that hasnt already been done a million times.[/citation]Please point me to all the other phones that have the same pixel-per-inch count as the iPhone 4, maybe there's some with 4" screens since, according to you, there's so many of them. I'm not excited by today's news but it sure did fuel the Apple hating troll in many commenters.[/citation]

Sharp IS03 3.5"
Sharp 930SH 3"
Sharp 934SH 3"
Sharp 936SH 3"
Motorola DroidHD 4.5"
LG LU1400 2.8"
LGLU6200 4.3"
HTC Vigor 4.3"

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]istank[/nom]Please point me to all the other phones that have the same pixel-per-inch count as the iPhone 4, maybe there's some with 4" screens since, according to you, there's so many of them. I'm not excited by today's news but it sure did fuel the Apple hating troll in many commenters.[/citation]Sharp IS03 3.5"Sharp 930SH 3"Sharp 934SH 3"Sharp 936SH 3"Motorola DroidHD 4.5"LG LU1400 2.8"LGLU6200 4.3"HTC Vigor 4.3"[/citation]

Perhaps you misunderstood me, let me rephrase, "Please poit me to all the other phones that have the same pixels-per-inch count as the iPhone 4...."

Status
Not open for further replies.