Apple Looking to 'Refresh and Refine' Siri

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
If Apple really wants to improve Siri, maybe they could offer IBM's Watson team some hefty benefits in return for switching from IBM to Apple as their employer...

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
They could make it useful like Google Now. It should have a setting for shutting off the non relevant replies. After a while it's like listening to a guy who laughs at his own jokes. Google now works fantastic with google maps and navigation. It is also lightning fast. Also, I don't think that Google now is censoring it's results...... remember..... who has the best smartphone? I am shocked that Siri didn't end up on a Nokia lumina commercial.

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Serious question. Does anyone actually still seriously use Siri, or was it always just a little bit of a gimmick whose novelty has now worn off? I don't have an iGadget, so I'm genuinely interested from iOwners.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]nitrium[/nom]Serious question. Does anyone actually still seriously use Siri, or was it always just a little bit of a gimmick whose novelty has now worn off? I don't have an iGadget, so I'm genuinely interested from iOwners.[/citation]

It's a gimmick...

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]nitrium[/nom]Serious question. Does anyone actually still seriously use Siri, or was it always just a little bit of a gimmick whose novelty has now worn off? I don't have an iGadget, so I'm genuinely interested from iOwners.[/citation]

I use it to set timers and alarms while on the go. That's absolutely it though..

G

Needs to be quicker, in every test ive seen it takes twice as long to load something than google now or windows phone

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Instead of Siri asking should it search the web, it should just do it without prompting. This is why Google seems quicker to me.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Either use Merle Dandrige (Alyx of half-life 2) or Majel Barret (ST:TOS nurse, Mr. Roddenberry's wife, ST:TNG computer voice)
Ah sh!t she died in 2008! What the fudge how haven't I heard of that

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]If Apple really wants to improve Siri, maybe they could offer IBM's Watson team some hefty benefits in return for switching from IBM to Apple as their employer...[/citation]They could actually power it with the clone of Watson that got a hold of Urban Dictionary. That actually would get me to buy an iPhone

ibnmuhammad

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
[citation][nom]krowbar[/nom]Wonder whose technology they will use to 'innovate' this?[/citation]

Wonder who's technology Google used to "innovate" Android?
Wonder who's technology Google used to "innovate" Chrome browser?
... etc.

It's intriguing, Google has some of the best scientists and engineers, yet they haven't seemed to innovate in any field except search (sort of, some argue that was from Lycos).

G

ibnmuhammad 01/19/2013 6:37 PM
Hide
-0+

krowbar :
Wonder whose technology they will use to 'innovate' this?

Wonder who's technology Google used to "innovate" Android?
Wonder who's technology Google used to "innovate" Chrome browser?
... etc.

It's intriguing, Google has some of the best scientists and engineers, yet they haven't seemed to innovate in any field except search (sort of, some argue that was from Lycos).

Let me guess...you are a dumb brainwashed isheep?

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
SIRI is mostly server side so no doubt they have been 'refreshing and refining' since it's release. They can certainly make improvements to the client app which could start with the ability to customize what launches via voice control and a decent system for passing siri generated perimeters to a target application.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Like another user said previously, the Urban Dictionary thing was the only reason I would buy an iDevice, for HUMOR! I could get my phone to talk like a sailor.

str8cuse

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I think siri is a great feature especially while driving. I think some of the things you seem people using siri for is pretty remarkable if you look at using siri to open your garage door with raspberry pi etc. There is always room for improvement but I wouldn't say siri is a complete gimmick.

Status
Not open for further replies.