Apple Monopolizes MP3 Market, Gets Sued

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Luxpro is just like all the other asian companies that take a succesful product and copy it with thier cheap version to steal sales. Where I live there are car stereos from the brand Pointer (Pioneer ripoff) with similar logo and many other knockoffs. Sad thing is that there are fools that buy these products thinking they're getting the real thing. I don't blame Apple for defending their product which is obviously being copied. Do you all blame Gibson Guitar for trying to stop others like PRS and other chinese makers for copying their Les Paul design? I don't. If you don't want an iPod, well don't buy it. You're under no obligation to do so. If you don't like Macs, don't buy them.

G

reading this article makes me sad. Apple's ad campaign is no doubt one of the best in corporate history. However, they have manipulated many if not all to believe their great services. Apple single handedly hand-picked each and every way you could do your thing. On a mac, everyone does the same thing the very same way. On microsoft's side, you have many options to get your stuff done.

From that alone, you can see apple would like to control their market as well. However, the major flaws from ipods needs more look-alike competition to make them add more functionality in it. Come on steve, add a front camera for the iphone 3g. Its the 21st century for crying out loud.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]teh_boxzor[/nom]i don't even know why they have anti-trust laws in the US or any nation for that matter...[/citation]
Because collusion between major companies to reduce competition and introduce predatory pricing can be extremely bad. Laissez-faire capitalism often fails to protect the populace from the rotten side of profit-seeking practices. This is why competition/anti-trust laws come into being, through empirical fact that the trusts they're combating can be detrimental rather than productive. "Economic growth" isn't the only thing you should try to promote in a society.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
yeah, no monopoly here.
it was just that average people weren't aware of the mp3 files before and then Apple started producing pretty looking and easy to use/navigate players which can replace portable disc players, combined it to a service that allows ease of acquiring mp3s then there we have a popular mainstream product.
i bet, there's a lot people before who didn't know they can rip a cd and re-encode to mp3 and find too cumbersome and complicated which explains the unpopularity of mp3 players before the Ipod.
heck, many people don't even know Apple until Ipod.

G

damn this is teh dirtiest thing i have heard, how can you sue some one over product similarity ? geezus christ ! seriously if every oen was suign over product simularity half the food companies would be tied up in law suits 99.9% of the time , then dont forget the fact that most every electronics company would avhe a case agaisnt walmart and their "durabrand" name LOL , apple needs to be slapped with a sock full of lead

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]coolkev99[/nom]I have never, and will never buy an Ipod of any kind as long as Apple supports its DRM-love fest Itunes. [/citation]
Personally I wouldn't buy one as long as companies like Cowon makes better, more compatible devices that I can buy for less money.

computerninja7823

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
[citation][nom]fuggley[/nom]whats an iPod?[/citation]
Exactly...i have never wanted to own an ipod or any apple product...its no wonder apple has enough money to still be in business they keep making thier precious ipod thinner and thinner and people put them in thier pockets and sit down and boom it snaps in half...then they go buy a new one and it breaks and so on and so forth

G

Maxtor127 said:
"You guys are idiots. If Apple isn't close to bankruptcy, they're getting called a monopoly and called too powerful. And suddenly Microsoft, which is probably the worst of them all is some innocent underdog. And Google is no different. It's not Apple's fault that they're popular with consumers. If everyone started buying Hondas and other car companies lost all of their customers, would that be a monopoly too?"

If Honda made you put gas in your car only at their own gas stations, then yes, that would be monopolistic behaviour.

crockdaddy

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I am not an Apple fan, but honestly I agree with Mongrel. I am sick of cheap Asian products which are merely crappy copy cats of the real thing flooding the market. I am no sympathy for luxpro ... or whatever its called. Again, for the record I do not own a METOOpod er I mean Ipod ... but in this case I am not sure Apple needs to be busted by this particular company.

G

You know before ipod the main reason mp3's weren't popular is they were a hacker format... it was a way to steal music...
ipod made that hacker format popular with a massive advertising campaign (funny how they are now sniping at MS's own advertising right now as that is the only thing apple can do right).

ipods are annoying because they are proprietary, then again their main 2 competitors are the same... the zune has the zune software and the zen... has that STUPID driver that makes it show up wierd on your computer. Their only competitor that is close is sandisk with the sansa. At least it doesnt require software or a driver (though it does initially try to be a media player rather than a mass storage device you can fix that) so even sansa has issues.

What people WANT is media player that can play any format they want (or they can download codecs to play other formats just like windows media player or whatever).
They want to choose their media player.
They want to choose any accessories and not have to check it for compatibility.
They want it to come with 1 cord for pluging into a computer and 1 to plug it into a wall to charge.
Last they don't want to have to pay forever to listen to the music they purchased.

Get all that you will make billions...

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
iPods are bleh.

I got a 1st gen shuffle that i won or something, nothing too remarkable, and at the time they were charging $100+ for this thing? lol it doesnt even have a screen!

I use winamp to put songs on it, iTunes is the crappiest media player ever invented.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
lol dont say that kamkal

Cuz those apple fanboi/girls gonna cry. OMFG U SAID iTUNES ITZ NOT THAT BEST IM GONNA KILLLLL UUUUUU ! lol !

Status
Not open for further replies.