Apple/Ps4 headphones into laptop

EnjoyableWinter

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015
So my laptop has 2 audio jacks (1 for a mic and 1 for audio). If i plug in my Apple or PS4 headphones which have a combined audio & mic jack into the mic jack of my laptop, my laptop does not detect the external mic. So I'm wondering if either of these headphones are compatible with my windows 7 laptop. Or is my problem only solvable if i split the audio and mic into separate jacks using a splitter and then plug it into my laptop's two audio jacks?

Thanks.

STFLightning

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015
It should work without a splitter. On my MacBook Air I use both Apple Earbuds with a microphone and AKG Y50s with a microphone. Are you running at least Mavericks or Yosemite? Some of the earlier OSes I know didn't support combined headphones and microphones in one jack. Also if it's older hardware (pre 2012) that might cause it to not work. I'm saying this just in case, but have you checked Input in System Preferences > Audio? Sometimes it may change to a different input under certain circumstances. For example, when I don't have my headphones plugged in it sometimes swaps to some audio software I have installed as the input.