Apple Ran Out of Launch Day Preorder iPads Online

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Onlive has a free version - which lets you use office etc. The flash version does increase the cost to a tiny $5 a month.If you want no recurring costs then you can use iSwifter. Lots of options.[/citation]
Not really lost of options, just iSwifter.
Cloud Browse and Onlive have recurring costs. Frash requires a jailbroken iPhone/iPad, and Skyfire isn't really an alternative.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Please don't trust everything Onlive says. I never used their flash player, but I already tested their service. They say that gaming using their service is faster than running the games natively, and even though I have an optic fiber internet their games had a noticeable lag that made playing them annoying to say the least.[/citation]

This isn't even something I've read Onlive saying - it's a logical deduction, and stated in many reviews. Just because in your circumstances there was a noticeable lag (in your opinion), doesn't mean that it exists in every case or for every user. Some computers may lag natively with flash anyway - due to being slower, it's a lot easier for those computers to render the Onlive app then the native app.

You also completely missed the part where I said 'in a lot of cases'.

[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]If it's fine how can I see the video on the phone stutter?[/citation]

The guy using it says it works fine. Stuttering can happen if you're using flash locally too - both in terms of FPS and connectivity.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]The guy using it says it works fine. Stuttering can happen if you're using flash locally too - both in terms of FPS and connectivity.[/citation]
Perhaps for him it works fine, but not to me. I prefer not to play a game than play it and have to endure the stuttering.

Most stuttering in flash is not network related, unless the app was badly coded. It is however related to the power of the device. Flash is heavy as hell and in android phones it doesn't run even near perfection, but still runs better than iSwifter.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]It is however related to the power of the device. Flash is heavy as hell[/citation]

Yeah exactly. For slower devices it's faster to effectively stream a video from onlive than to generate the graphics themselves. In those cases, with 3G or 4G the flash games can be better.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Yeah exactly. For slower devices it's faster to effectively stream a video from onlive than to generate the graphics themselves. In those cases, with 3G or 4G the flash games can be better.[/citation]
If you have a slow phone then yes, cloud browsers may present a better solution. If you have a good phone then in my experience, no, running natively will always be faster than using the cloud. Perhaps in the future when connection speed are much higher than what they are today, until then they are just a glimpse to the future, but not really the best alternative.

simplec1

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]Except that a $499 iPad will blow away any laptop in graphics performance and likely screen resolution. You can add a stand and external keyboard if you need to sit bolted to a chair to enjoy web surfing and gaming. I don't mind relaxing on the couch.[/citation]
i beg to differ.....................................................
http://dealnews.com/ASUS-Core-i5-Dual-2.53-GHz-16-LED-Laptop-for-499-6-s-h/451718.html
That laptop would blow any tablet out the water. (iOS android whatever)
minus the resolution. Because if the "the new ipad" could blow away any laptop the it must be able to play crysis at basic settings.(that will never happen) I'm not hating on ipads or anything like but quit preaching apple like its gospel from up on high

Status
Not open for further replies.