Apple Releases iOS 6.1, Includes Additional LTE Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitman400

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Does Apple require payment for the update? If so, then I'm not sure which is worse. MS's micro-upgrade/payments, or this.[/citation]
Apple's updates have been free so far, so I don't know why you would assume so.

hitman400

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
[citation][nom]ankit0x1[/nom]n this thng deserved a version increment huh amazing. if windows incremented ver number like this den we wuld b running windows 888888888.8888 not 6.x from last 6 yrs[/citation]
Say you were in charge of Apple. You had a mob of angry consumers, demanding LTE support for what they had promised. You tell them, no, not just yet, were getting together a big enough list to make the update justifiable. Surely you would have said yes in this situation

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]john15v16[/nom]@Apple...4G LTE finally huh? You're late to the game of progress...[/citation]

It's not Apple that is dragging its heals its the carriers. The iPhone 5 supported LTE on release, but here in the UK we only had a single carrier EE that supported LTE, and that was rushed into service just in time. Many countries are only just getting started with 4G so it makes sense for iOS to include them in this update, many of which won't be up and running for many months!

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
[citation][nom]ankit0x1[/nom]n this thng deserved a version increment huh amazing. if windows incremented ver number like this den we wuld b running windows 888888888.8888 not 6.x from last 6 yrs[/citation]

I do agree with you, and would have given you thumbs up if you didn't "rite da way u speek cuz its so 'ard ta reed n I reely dun dig dat dood"

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008

Wow, with editing skills like this, you should write for Tom's!! ;)

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]john15v16[/nom]@Apple...4G LTE finally huh? You're late to the game of progress...[/citation]

Well, Google forgot to add December to 4.2 on my Nexus 7, so let's call it a truce? LOL

G

I wonder whether or not they'll fix the broken bluetooth stack, the inability to gain a signal after being in a non signal area for too long, or even just the odd occasion when you call someone and the earpiece refuses to work.

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]colinjmatt[/nom]I wonder whether or not they'll fix the broken bluetooth stack, the inability to gain a signal after being in a non signal area for too long, or even just the odd occasion when you call someone and the earpiece refuses to work.[/citation]

It did fix the Bluetooth issues with my Nissan hands free system, so their are some bluetooth updates in 6.1

TuffLittleUnit

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]pacomac[/nom]It's not Apple that is dragging its heals its the carriers. The iPhone 5 supported LTE on release, but here in the UK we only had a single carrier EE that supported LTE, and that was rushed into service just in time.[/citation]

So it's the "carriers" (Network operators)? OK ... let's ignore the government's spectrum auction, the clashes with some TV frequencies still to be addressed for those who will be affected and the fact that Apple's latest shiny, shiny didn't actually support the right frequencies for the major UK carriers.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
See that's the thing about some Droid fanboys who have to take to iPhone articles and start bashing, they have no idea what the hell they are talking about because they never tried it. They just think they understand and start running off at the mouth. I've been using 4G LTE on my iPhone 5 since I got it. This article states the updated added ADDITIONAL support for more LTE carriers.

Status
Not open for further replies.