Apple Retakes Smartphone Lead in Q4, Samsung Wins 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

nao1120

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
All good news when there's many good phones on the android platform that does not require "jail breaking" to get the full experience out of a phone. Holding out for a Sammy Quad Core s3 or asus padfone (whatever reviews better). If your stuck with a contract might as well get the best one at the time.

Cheers for healthy competition! (aside from the suing silliness)

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Cool, but not really relevant info. Galaxy S2 runs circles around the iP4S and soon the S3 will leave all of them in the dust. Doesn't matter if Samsung has some lead; it matters they have the best smartphone around at this time. The competition looks so... 2010.
When Moto's Droid Razr Maxx comes out in GSM flavor (which I believe they're about to), the competition will heat up again. Can't wait.

malicemizer

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Cool, but not really relevant info. Galaxy S2 runs circles around the iP4S and soon the S3 will leave all of them in the dust. Doesn't matter if Samsung has some lead; it matters they have the best smartphone around at this time. The competition looks so... 2010. When Moto's Droid Razr Maxx comes out in GSM flavor (which I believe they're about to), the competition will heat up again. Can't wait.[/citation]

Lol you know you dont smoke the plastic on the samsung? Thats the only way I can think of you coming to the conclusion the galaxy runs circles around the iphone 4s

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Cool, but not really relevant info. Galaxy S2 runs circles around the iP4S and soon the S3 will leave all of them in the dust. Doesn't matter if Samsung has some lead; it matters they have the best smartphone around at this time. The competition looks so... 2010. When Moto's Droid Razr Maxx comes out in GSM flavor (which I believe they're about to), the competition will heat up again. Can't wait.[/citation]
Yeah, it smokes the 4S. Especially that GPU that's barely half as fast as the A5

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Yeah, it smokes the 4S. Especially that GPU that's barely half as fast as the A5[/citation]
The S2 was an older phone...so, big deal. The S3 will blow the 4S to pieces.Btw, you do know all the latest and greatest Apple CPU/GPU is MADE BY SAMSUNG, do you?? LOL.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]The S2 was an older phone...so, big deal. The S3 will blow the 4S to pieces.Btw, you do know all the latest and greatest Apple CPU/GPU is MADE BY SAMSUNG, do you?? LOL.[/citation]
A5 processor in the 4S came out almost a year ago in the iPad 2. And yet today the ONLY processor that's faster is the Tegra 3. Everything else (esp Tegra 2) blows.

Many of Tom's readers are the types to build their own gaming rigs. I wonder which they'd pick:

A CPU that's 10% faster with a GPU that's half as fast. (Samsung GS2)
or
A CPU that's 10% slower with a GPU that's twice as fast. (iPhone 4S)

Of course they'd pick the latter as everyone knows the bottleneck for performance is your video card. 10% CPU is hardly going to be noticeable, but doubling the GPU will be very noticeable.

What's even funnier is the Samsung is clocked at 1.2GHz (vs 800MHz for the 4S), a difference of 50% yet still only performs about 10% faster. Not very efficient, is it?

S3 will blow the 4S? Are we talking about phones that haven't even been announced yet? Then let's include the next generation quad core A6 processor Apple will be using.

G

to ericburnby:

Isheep like you are truly funny. You fail to understand that Samsung is much better. Samsung also makes some of apple's parts. Samsung beats apple in almost every benchmark including the drop test in which apple goes to pieces. You are among the dumbest isheep trolls I have met. Keep buying over priced icrap made by slaves while the the rest of us will buy samsung phones that beat apple.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I'm not surprised. Siri is a great new product for former, current and new iHipsters.

Me, on the other hand, I'm waiting for Android's response. Maybe we'll see that by Android 5.0. Yes, there are apps out there that kind of achieve the same thing and are compatible with (I think) Android 2.3 and above. It doesn't look like Android 4.0 includes a Siri-like application out of the box, at least that's what I see out of the Google Nexus phone.

G

I like my HTC Sensation very much but do wish I would have waited for the Galaxy SII.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]A5 processor in the 4S came out almost a year ago in the iPad 2. And yet today the ONLY processor that's faster is the Tegra 3. Everything else (esp Tegra 2) blows.Many of Tom's readers are the types to build their own gaming rigs. I wonder which they'd pick:A CPU that's 10% faster with a GPU that's half as fast. (Samsung GS2)orA CPU that's 10% slower with a GPU that's twice as fast. (iPhone 4S)Of course they'd pick the latter as everyone knows the bottleneck for performance is your video card. 10% CPU is hardly going to be noticeable, but doubling the GPU will be very noticeable.What's even funnier is the Samsung is clocked at 1.2GHz (vs 800MHz for the 4S), a difference of 50% yet still only performs about 10% faster. Not very efficient, is it?S3 will blow the 4S? Are we talking about phones that haven't even been announced yet? Then let's include the next generation quad core A6 processor Apple will be using.[/citation]
... totally agree...

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]A5 processor in the 4S came out almost a year ago in the iPad 2. And yet today the ONLY processor that's faster is the Tegra 3.[/citation]
4S came out less than 6 month ago.
iPhones need faster GPU only TO BE ON PAR with other phones, since they have higher resolution.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]S3 will blow the 4S?[/citation]
S2 (and S1 for that matter) already does. Not by winning in anand-style misleading syntetic "off-screen" benchmarks, but by having VASTLY SUPERIOR SCREEN. Anyone, who ever compared samoled+ to normal phones would agree.

G

@nao1120

But many Android phones require rooting to make them work better... like chainfire to play Tegra2 based games, Titanium Backup to backup your phone!

G

to Larries22

you do not need titanium backup to backup or to root your android phone to get the most of it.

android also has more free apps.

bottom line...Samsung and asus beat apple hands down.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]The S2 was an older phone...so, big deal. The S3 will blow the 4S to pieces.Btw, you do know all the latest and greatest Apple CPU/GPU is MADE BY SAMSUNG, do you?? LOL.[/citation]

When the iPhone 4 was an 'old phone' - Android fans still compared it to the SG2.

It doesn't matter whether a phone is old or new, basically the fastest phone you can buy today, is the iPhone 4S.

It also has the best battery life and most apps, plus Siri, highest DPI screen and one of the best cameras. Also has best customer satisfaction ratings.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]S2 (and S1 for that matter) already does. Not by winning in anand-style misleading syntetic "off-screen" benchmarks, but by having VASTLY SUPERIOR SCREEN. Anyone, who ever compared samoled+ to normal phones would agree.[/citation]

Some people don't want a brick in their pocket, and want the highest performing phone.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]S2 (and S1 for that matter) already does. Not by winning in anand-style misleading syntetic "off-screen" benchmarks, but by having VASTLY SUPERIOR SCREEN. Anyone, who ever compared samoled+ to normal phones would agree.[/citation]

Oh and there's nothing inaccurate about the off-screen measurements. That's the only way to compare directly, and it's common knowledge that the 543 in the iPhone 4S runs rings around the Mali-400 in the SG2.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]4S came out less than 6 month ago.iPhones need faster GPU only TO BE ON PAR with other phones, since they have higher resolution.[/citation]

He said the A5 processor came out, not the 4S. So please read. If the iPhone has a smaller screen AND a higher resolution, that says it all - but either way, even on the same resolution, the GPU in the iPhone 4S is faster. If you were educated, you would know that that's why they had to use the offscreen benchmark, to make the resolutions the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.