Apple: Sorry, No Siri for Older iPhones

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
"Siri only works on iPhone 4S and we currently have no plans to support older devices."

Only works on iPhone 4S my foot! Other iOS 5 devices are perfectly capable of running it.

egidem

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]"Siri only works on iPhone 4S and we currently have no plans to support older devices."Only works on iPhone 4S my foot! Other iOS 5 devices are perfectly capable of running it.[/citation]

Obviously they know that it works on older devices, they just choose to ignore it and lie to everyone's face thinking that they're dumb enough to believe it.

For example, they say that Siri takes advantage of the iPhone 4s' multiple cores. Most sheeple will blindly believe this, not true of course since the processing is done into the cloud. Heck, some people still think that Apple actually created Siri and that makes them geniuses or gods among men.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Enough of this BS... it's been already established that Siri works on older Apple devices, just Apple doesn't want to put it there. It's the only selling point for iPhone 4S; there's NOTHING new there otherwise.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
[citation][nom]egidem[/nom]Obviously they know that it works on older devices, they just choose to ignore it and lie to everyone's face thinking that they're dumb enough to believe it.For example, they say that Siri takes advantage of the iPhone 4s' multiple cores. Most sheeple will blindly believe this, not true of course since the processing is done into the cloud. Heck, some people still think that Apple actually created Siri and that makes them geniuses or gods among men.[/citation]

this and the fact that majority of iPhone 4S users think it's a 4G device...

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
[citation][nom]egidem[/nom]Obviously they know that it works on older devices, they just choose to ignore it and lie to everyone's face thinking that they're dumb enough to believe it.For example, they say that Siri takes advantage of the iPhone 4s' multiple cores. Most sheeple will blindly believe this, not true of course since the processing is done into the cloud. Heck, some people still think that Apple actually created Siri and that makes them geniuses or gods among men.[/citation]

Yes, clearly siri has advanced beyond x86/64 instructions, you need apple's quantum processor to even work on these complex voice-recognition algorithms!

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
This is Apple's sad attempt at justifying a consumer to buy a mediocre hardware upgrade. It's been already proven to work on an iPhone 4. They wouldn't make money on sales if they did incorporate that into IOS 5.

As an iPhone 4 owner myself I refuse to fall into the fanaticism that is the dumb consumer that must have every new Apple device, even though it is a minor improvement on their last product.

Well unless you consider the antenna fix a huge improvement for all those death gripping people.

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Enough of this BS... it's been already established that Siri works on older Apple devices, just Apple doesn't want to put it there. It's the only selling point for iPhone 4S; there's NOTHING new there otherwise.[/citation]

There's NOTHING new? It has the same look and feel as the older models but there is new "stuff". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_4S. Get your facts straight before you comment!!!

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
If Siri depends on the functioning of Apple servers ("cloud") then it might be forever crippled as we have just seen.

My daughter has the new phone with Siri and she was never able to get one useful bit of information from it over the entire weekend.

It is an interesting idea though, maybe Google will run with it and actually make it work.

Even if ios5 would provide Siri to older devices, that would mean that you would have to have some way to get ios5 ONTO the older device, and most users don't have that.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I'm starting to wonder if they lace the case of the iPhones with meth or crack or something, that way they get hooked and want MOAR!

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
This dishonesty reminds me of when sprint decided to add on a $10 sur charge on 4G phones and then when they realized 90% or more of the users couldn't get 4G they said it had nothing to do with the 4G and it was only because the new phone was more like a computer than the older phone (palm pre). Trust me, my usage stayed pretty much the same, I was just getting charged an extra $10.00.

Now I have an Iphone and after reading how the Siri takes advantage of the multi core processor, then when I asked it to call someone when I didn't have a 3G connection, those multicores for some reason couln't understand what I was saying. Its amazing how the cores run much better when your internet connection is good. This tells me how really full of sh#t these guys really are, especially the "experts" at the apple store. Give me a break.

frozendarkness

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Guys it's already established Apple does not have the applicable bandwidth to support Siri on multiple devices. Additionally, Apple probably does not want to provide support for older phones as well.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I am a proud 4s owner, but this is something that I do hate about apple, denying software usage on their devices, even if capable of working it properly

Their walled garden of software is the only thing that stops me from jumping in to using apple as all my main devices - if the hardware is capable, how come I can't use it,,, never have that kind of issue with other manufacturers -- I would 100% understand if there was some logic chip or something that only made siri capable on the 4s,, but when it is only a software lock, it gets a bit ridiculous,, I'm not saying to give it away for free,, even 50 dollars sounds reasonable given how useful the app can be

there are so many other apps that do wonders with apple hardware but the only way to use them is to jailbreak the device,, something I'm not crazy about - I'd love to use xbmc or have my dock connector double as a SD reader,, why can't they make it work without unlocking,, heck I would even PAY to use the open source XBMC on my device I love it so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.