Apple's Store Hits 800,000 Apps Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]slomo4sho[/nom]And how many of them are actually useful?[/citation]
A large number.

People seem to think there are only a handful of useful Apps and the rest are duplicates. This is not true. Most iOS developers I know don't write games, productivity, photo/video or social Apps. They write Apps for small businesses, organizations, schools, financial institutions or sports teams. These Apps are free and don't make any money - they are provided as a service.

When the Internet took off everyone said you need a website for your business. Today it's Apps. My rec hockey league has an App for scheduling, standings and player stats. My favorite sports teams all have Apps. My kids Karate association has an App. None of these will ever appear on any Apple "lists" - you will only find them by searching their exact name or following a web link.

People expect major businesses to have an App (your bank or credit card company, for example). But Apps are not just for large companies - small businesses and organizations are also releasing Apps to provide better service

This is why there are so many Apps.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
A flooded market and sadly I guarantee there are some gems in there that got buried. I also wonder just how many of those can be considered a success to any degree. I recall a recent story where a well experienced game developer made and released a game that is generally liked and yet he only made a few thousands dollars off it.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Truth hurts, doesn't it? What's the matter, don't like my comment so I get voted down instead of someone trying to refute my claim? Maybe it's because you can't so you act like the little kiddies you are.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Truth hurts, doesn't it? What's the matter, don't like my comment so I get voted down instead of someone trying to refute my claim? Maybe it's because you can't so you act like the little kiddies you are.[/citation]

Yup, welcome to Tom's you get voted down because instead of conceding the Android Apps need to be better managed they'd rather show you hate for pointing out any obvious good of Apple. Yes, it's childish - on the Apple forums, no one gives two sh*ts, My friends who work at both companies kinda laugh at the stupidity of being a fanboy of a commercial product line but here it is...

[citation][nom]slomo4sho[/nom]And how many of them are actually useful?[/citation]

As an owner of both Android and iOS products, yes, quite unlike the mountain of crap in the Play store. It's the nature of open vs closed.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
quality over quantity. i don't think there are many apps available on iOS market that aren't already available on android or maybe even wp8... and soon BB

geossj5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
[citation][nom]jcurry23[/nom]Don't care... yawn[/citation]

you seemed to care enough to go to the article and comment..

[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]People expect major businesses to have an App (your bank or credit card company, for example). But Apps are not just for large companies - small businesses and organizations are also releasing Apps to provide better serviceThis is why there are so many Apps.[/citation]
Please don't take this personally - I realize you're just stating what's happening, but this is about the stupidest trend to hit in the last decade. Over the course of a year, I probably interact with 100-200 businesses on a regular basis. I do not want to have to install 100-200 apps just so I can get the full online experience with them.

It's on par with Disney Dollars - fake money you had to buy to buy stuff within Disneyland. Why create fake money usable only within that single business, when you can just use real money? Likewise why create an app when you can just create a website which (if designed properly) will work across multiple platforms without me having to install something new for every single business I interact with?

Apps have their place - if you're trying to do something which can't easily be provided via a website. In particular, things that need a large amount of processing locally (e.g. games), or that might incur additional security risks if accessed via a shared browser (e.g. a finance management app, though Mint online seems to be the most popular go figure). But if it can easily be done on a website, do it on a website. We do not want a world where apps displace websites. That's a tragedy of the commons in the making (best choice for each individual business results in the worst possible outcome for everyone overall).

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
500.000 fart button apps
200.000 apps from various shops all around the world which nobody cares about
90.000 boring games

maybe 10.000 which might be interesting to check
under 1.000 which could actually be useful.

AndroidWon

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
ericburnby 03/30/2013 7:27 AM
Hide
-1+

Truth hurts, doesn't it? What's the matter, don't like my comment so I get voted down instead of someone trying to refute my claim? Maybe it's because you can't so you act like the little kiddies you are.

You know who is childish? YOU! Every apple or android article you come into the threads and insult everyone you can. You throw little fits like a child. You are probably the biggest fanboi on this site. Android won the war and Apple is going down like th niche player it always was. 90s here we come!

FanechkaBronson

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
If you think Angela`s story is terrific..., a month-back my brother's best friend basically also earnt $9531 workin a thirteen hour week from there house and there best friend's mother`s neighbour did this for 8-months and actually earned more than $9531 part-time from their labtop. use the guidelines on this web-site........ http://www.miniurl.com/s/7US

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Yep, gotta love all those free apps. They come with a nice big banner that takes about half of that tiny screen estate, making the whole thing absolutely ridiculous to look at. Yay!...

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]AndroidWon[/nom]ericburnby 03/30/2013 7:27 AMHide-1+Truth hurts, doesn't it? What's the matter, don't like my comment so I get voted down instead of someone trying to refute my claim? Maybe it's because you can't so you act like the little kiddies you are.You know who is childish? YOU! Every apple or android article you come into the threads and insult everyone you can. You throw little fits like a child. You are probably the biggest fanboi on this site. Android won the war and Apple is going down like th niche player it always was. 90s here we come![/citation]

There is no war. You're hallucinating yourself, fanboy.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
[citation][nom]acerace[/nom]There is no war. You're hallucinating yourself, fanboy.[/citation]

Lol that's where your wrong, as long as there's money to be made from something people will fight for it. Its probably what Yahoo! said when it was loading to Google in the early 2000's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS