Solved! ARC Issues with an all Sony TV/Video/Audio Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2018
I bought a Sony XBR850D TV, and wanted to improve sound and use ARC capabilities so I could still use the Sony single TV remote to adjust volume. I bought the Sony HT-XT2 and connected it to the HDMI4/ARC port, used Bravia Sync to connect to the soundbar, and viola, it all worked perfectly. TV said switching to external speakers, and adjusting volume on TV remote now was controlling the soundbar. I then got a Sony blue ray player and connected it to HDMI1 and it worked fine. Audio from blue ray disc plays through soundbar. Now trying to connect Sony PS4. As soon as I connect the PS4 HDMI cable to HDMI 2 or 3 on TV, I get the message on TV that says “switching to TV speakers”, and now ARC not working like it was before. Note that when I connected the PS4, the PS4 power was off, so just connecting the cable caused the switch to take place. I unplugged the PS4 hdmi cable, and got the message on TV “switching to external speakers”, and ARC was working once again... I just want the sound from all devices to play through the soundbar (via ARC I guess), and have the single TV remote adjust the volume for the audio coming out of the soundbar. This is all Sony gear, and the soundbar is on the compatible list for the Bravia Sync (ARC I guess)... it all works until the PS4 is introduced. For what it is worth, I have tried powering on the PS4, which displays on the TV fine but plays through TV speakers only, and checked/modified all of the different HDMI settings with no change in behavior. I have also tried using the optical audio out on TV to soundbar, and PS4 to Soundbar with no change, but for the later with the PS4 to soundbar, I would get the PS4 sound to the soundbar, but ARC is still disabled. I have updated all units to their latest SW updates too... There just seems to be something about the PS4 and ARC that is conflicting and not working, but not sure how it can cause issues even with the PS4 power turned off and unplugged... If anyone has any ideas, I am grateful for your assistance. I am pretty tech savvy on this kind of stuff, but this has me stumped... Thanks all!! I hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year!!!

Solution
There are two possible things I can think of.
1. The PS4 has a problem with CEC (Sony may call it Bravia sync). If you turn that off it might let the PS4 keep the external output on but it would shut off the ability to use the TV remote for volume.
2.. Change the audio output type in the PS4 menu. Maybe it's not compatible with the soundbar and that shuts off the TV external audio output.
If all else fails call Sony. Since these are all their products they may know that there is an issue.
There are two possible things I can think of.
1. The PS4 has a problem with CEC (Sony may call it Bravia sync). If you turn that off it might let the PS4 keep the external output on but it would shut off the ability to use the TV remote for volume.
2.. Change the audio output type in the PS4 menu. Maybe it's not compatible with the soundbar and that shuts off the TV external audio output.
If all else fails call Sony. Since these are all their products they may know that there is an issue.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.