Archos 5 IT (32 GB) Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I remember my first Archos MP3 player back in the late 1990's or early 2000's. It didn't work. They wouldn't accept a RMA. Never bought one since, and never will.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I like my Archos 5 w/ android. It has its problems but there simply isn't anything on the market that can compete yet.

To be honest I have some serious problems with this review. You complain that the Archos has a glossy screen, while the matte one on the 1st gen was almost alone in a sea of glossy screens, how about some glass screens? (IE iPod Touch?) You make a big deal out of the glossy screen but fail to mention how standard it is and how many people live with it.

You then bitch about the apps?! You said it yourself, it is the first large resolution Android device. The large resolution Android apps are coming out at the end of the year. Just because it isn't here now doesn't mean you can ignore the fact that it should be in the future.

How about you rewrite this damn review and add all the revolutionary additions it brings? How about be able to run Flash 10 by the end of the year without downsizing or converting of the format and resolution? How about beating damn near anything else with video quality? How about having better sound quality than the iPod Touch? How about the insane amounts of storage you can get, IE 500GB?

The Archos 5 IT is a very cool device. In all it's areas of expertise it shines and beats the competition. That said, it is a very niche device and can't be compared to most PMPs on the market including the iPod Touch.

G

Wow. This review blows. There is nothing out there that can do the same stuff. Once android updates it will certainly be unmatched. You are really down playing the screen and the potential it offers. Flash 10 is going to rock! Almost 5 inches is AWESOME! The multimedia rocks. I'm happy with mine. Maybe I'm just "nitch."

G

Damned piece of sh**. i got a archos a10-uk and i dont find support for it, none of their drivers work from the website.

sarahcl

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
@The_Blood_Raven

You make some valid points there, especially regarding the glossy screen 'issue'. Don't quite agree that it has better sound quality than the iPod Touch though (well, compared to my 2nd Gen Touch). Everyone has their own preferences though, each to their own!

G

I borrowed this from my sister to use on a 16 hour flight and I have to tell you I fell in love with this thing! It played everything my husband threw at it. Gorgeous screen my plane-mates were jealous this is on my Xmas wish list, awesome! I own a iTouch not even close

G

ever hear of the nokia n800 or n810? These are also linux devices and beat the pants off of anything from Archos.

G

I love my Archos 5. Everywhere I go people are asking me about it and I have cause so many people to buy it from our small town Radio Shack that the manager is taking me out for dinner because he can't give me a bonus check for most sales! I work at a hospital and have Doctor's and nurses scrambling for this thing, not to mention people in our IT dept. Of course it doesn't do all the same things an Ipod does...it isn't an Ipod. It does exactly what an Archos 5 IT should do. I will be purchasing the Archos 7 for my wife for her birthday, if for not other reason, than for the Web Radio features. This thing is AWESOME.

Status
Not open for further replies.