Are large-screen laptops going out of fashion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerrex9727

Estimable
Sep 27, 2014
I wanted to get this ASUS laptop, primarily for the CPU, RAM, and screensize to do programming and virtual machining.
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-17-3-i7-4700HQ-Laptop-Drive/dp/B00DXFF6EO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411852469&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+17.3

However, this model is well over a year old and no new line has come out yet! Are 17.3 inch laptops just going out of fashion? Are manufacturers going for small form factor and screen size exclusively now thanks to the tablet movement? What about those of us that actually want to do work on the go?

Solution
As a former owner of one (I had a 17" Toshiba) and hated the thing, I definitely think the large screen laptops are going out of style especially with the advent of ultrabooks and laptop-replacement tablets like the Surface Pro 3. Especially since the optical drive is in the process of being phased out, I think laptops will get smaller and lighter in the process. Not to mention airline seats and trays getting smaller and smaller, no one wants to have a 17" laptop in their tray table. :lol:

Currently I have a 15.6" Lenovo Y500 and I love this laptop - it's probably the best one I've ever owned.

g-unit1111

Distinguished
As a former owner of one (I had a 17" Toshiba) and hated the thing, I definitely think the large screen laptops are going out of style especially with the advent of ultrabooks and laptop-replacement tablets like the Surface Pro 3. Especially since the optical drive is in the process of being phased out, I think laptops will get smaller and lighter in the process. Not to mention airline seats and trays getting smaller and smaller, no one wants to have a 17" laptop in their tray table. :lol:

Currently I have a 15.6" Lenovo Y500 and I love this laptop - it's probably the best one I've ever owned.

Solution

anbello262

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I own 18.4'' laptop, and I LOVE IT!
I would love to buy a new laptop with the same screen-size, but the only ones that I can find are the Alienware ones, and those are way too expensive for me at the moment...
Basically, yes, big laptops are going away, as most people who can use a big laptop would rather buy a small desktop. Shame ._.

When I get a good job I might even end up buying an Alienware 18...

racerrex9727

Estimable
Sep 27, 2014

lol the irony that I work for an airline and I'm complaining about the lack of big screen laptops. I guess I'm stuck getting a desktop and Surface Pro 3.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

I very badly want a Surface Pro 3, it's just they're incredibly expensive right now especially with the higher capacities you get.

racerrex9727

Estimable
Sep 27, 2014

Yeah it's a pretty sick device, although yeah it's really expensive and I probably will have to save for one (and possiblity hold out longer to afford the higher specs!) The only drawback with it though is its support for Linux (primarily Ubuntu/Mint) is pretty limited. I hope that changes soon, but I may get one anyway.

Christopher Glover

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
Are they phasing 18" screens out, cause since year began (2015) I have seen Alienware 18 go away followed by Origin EON18, Toshiba and MSI? So when my laptop becomes outdated will I have to go back to a 17?

WyldOne

Estimable
Apr 3, 2015
Personally I love :D my 18.4 alienware/DELL game rig - 32gb memory. Nvidea 875(?) dual SLI 2.5 tb of space on msata/sata ssd drives. quad core cpu. this machine is a beast and can eat most game for breakfast. I've had a Toshiba 18.1" one and had to wait until some vendor put out something new that's when I grabbed an Alienware one. model was a m18x . I't stoo bad they don't sell them new anymore now because my bro wants one now and for teh same reason as me(vision) :(

And as a odd note it is not for 'fashion' or 'style' it is for screen space. I have vision issues and having a large screen is CRITICAL to me. The price was hefty, but I am satisfied with it so far. And I still can upgrade it (CPU/blu-ray/memory/msata/sata ssd/video card-dual sli)

They sorta come and go about every three years or so?

I only wish the screen was BIGGER,but you take what you can get.I have been eyballing the 23" 'desktop replacement one, but they do not have a integrated kb/mouse/sound/DVD-bluray/battery option yet. (they are so close)

Status
Not open for further replies.