Are OLED TVs Doomed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddybody

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Price is definitely the greatest issue to adopting OLED displays (both for televisions and monitors). That said, I havent heard of any other technology to come close to OLED's contrast capabilities...and IMO, that is going to keep manufacturers motivation to drive cost down to attainable points for consumers. Would I spend 500% more on an OLED panel than a plasma (RIP) right now? Absolutely not. Would I spend up to 50% more for an OLED over a leading LED? Most likely.

td854

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I think one problem is that a 55 inch TV doesn't need to be curved, maybe an 80 inch, but not 55. They're just taking an unnecessary step there in manufacturing that's creating more expense.

I don't know how more recent models compare but I've had a 55" 7000 series samsung led/lcd tv and it's beautiful in lighted scenes but the moment the scene gets dark; backlight bleed on the edges. This is the main reason i would want to switch to an OLED, for the dark scenes, nothing else compares.

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
OLED is a pinnacle of surface based display technology being an emission display with each pixel self illuminating allowing the very large contrast and massive colour gamut that cannot be rivaled by LCD's. a mixture of the contrast and large colour gamut is the main reason for the displays appearing so saturated since we simply are used to displays that have faded colours and very poor contrast in comparison.

Production techniques will only improve, this is no different to when LCD's first were released and a 50in LCD would set you back for the price of a super car (around 150,000) when they appeared, OLED is comparatively far cheaper for the pure quality of the display.

i think LG's technique of using pure white OLED substrate with a colour filter in front is the most production efficient currently as only one chemical is required in the process.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Just due to their chemical nature, OLEDs are a whole lot less stable than their metal/metal oxide LED counterparts. Have they figured out a way around blue OLEDs from degrading faster than reds and yellows? IMO, since we keep TVs around a lot longer than our cellphones, OLED should just be restricted to "disposable" electronics

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Just due to their chemical nature, OLEDs are a whole lot less stable than their metal/metal oxide LED counterparts. Have they figured out a way around blue OLEDs from degrading faster than reds and yellows? IMO, since we keep TVs around a lot longer than our cellphones, OLED should just be restricted to "disposable" electronics

They've came a long ways since the first generation. Blue OLED diodes in the newer generations achieves 62,000 hours of usage rating (compared to 198,000 hours for the green) - none the less, that is 7 years of 25/7 usage.

Menigmand

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
It's so bizarre how they keep pushing curved displays. Who asked for those? What I personally want is better image quality.

4K is another strange tech driver...

The big selling point of flat screens is that they don't distort the image. Why would I want to go back to something I got rid of in the 90's? As for OLED I thought the advantages over LCD was lower power usage and a richer color gamut.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
OLED is not dead unless they can find a way to make LCD Colors as good as OLED. Sure flexibility is cool, but it's the colors, the deep blacks, the blinding whites, that make OLED amazing.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
What I don't understand is why did they have to go to other size extreme at 55"? Why not release smaller sized TVs? Or heck, why not release OLED computer monitors?

Why does OLED have to be either in 5" smartphones or 55" TVs?

Doug Lord

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
4K is going to be the it thing for about as long as 1080p was. OLED may be where 4k is today in 2020. IE $5,000+ for a good brand high spec >65" set. So all you anti 4G folks will have a long wait for something better

robisinho

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
hmm the premise of the first paragraph is wrong ... at CES 2014, there were more OLED's than the year before. Many of the new 4k curved screens *were* OLED. But they remained inaccessible to most people who live off of a paycheck.

Ronshere

Honorable
Mar 25, 2014
OLED is the future, LCD is the past.
The picture you have at the top of the article says it all. LCD's are sinking and everyone is going to OLED. You can't beat OLED for all the reasons you mentioned.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Can't wait until real LED (Sony called them Crystal LED) displays appear. The quality of OLED without the degradation due to the use of inorganic diodes. Alas it may be another decade or two until they become mainstream...

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
i think LG's technique of using pure white OLED substrate with a colour filter in front is the most production efficient currently as only one chemical is required in the process.

It seems that you just described an LCD using OLED as the backlight instead of LED or fluorescent. Pointless?

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I think one problem is that a 55 inch TV doesn't need to be curved, maybe an 80 inch, but not 55. They're just taking an unnecessary step there in manufacturing that's creating more expense.

I don't know how more recent models compare but I've had a 55" 7000 series samsung led/lcd tv and it's beautiful in lighted scenes but the moment the scene gets dark; backlight bleed on the edges. This is the main reason i would want to switch to an OLED, for the dark scenes, nothing else compares.

I agree about the need for a curved display in the 55" range, however, I was talking to the audio / video manager of a local A/V shop, and he told me that the reason the screens are curved is not what us consumers would expect. It is a structural issue - the curved screen makes the display more rigid. He said that he was told this by one of the manufacturers at a recent show. Amazon has LG's 55" flat OLED TV, but it is more expensive than the 55" curved.

LG is making a big push into the market for OLED TVs. Their 55" curved OLED TV has dropped about $10K since it first appeared in the US market. It is only a matter of time before OLED TVs reach price parity with LCDs, and with manufacturers like Panasonic working on large (55") 4K OLED TVs that are printed, I believe the cost will drop much faster than it did when large Plasmas and LCDs first appeared on the market.

The person who wrote the article is saying the same things that were said about large plasmas and LCDs when they were first introduced. Look where they are now.

In no way can LCD, or even plasma complete with OLED in terms of picture quality. Plasma is great, but OLED is better.

SRRAE

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
WELL DONE PUT A PICTURE OF A SINKING SHIP THE DAY AFTER A PASSENGER SHIP SANK OFF THE COAST OF SOUTH KOREA KILLING HUNDREDS.

YOU INSENSITIVE CUNTS

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

It seems that you just described an LCD using OLED as the backlight instead of LED or fluorescent. Pointless?

It is different because the White OLED sub pixels are actively controlled, unlike an LCD where you have a uniform or section dimmable backlight and an LCD matrix infront of it which limits the light through it and filters the colour and sections the backlight into sub pixels.

The colour filter is passive while the OLED sub pixels are active producing far greater viewing angles, contrast and a wider colour gamut.

Status
Not open for further replies.