Are OLED TVs Doomed?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDane

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Not upgrading again before I can get 4K OLED in at least 70".

As a gamer I would -love- to have a UHD OLED monitor - and as a movie freak I dream of a +70" 4K OLED.

Eveytime people see a movie clip on my Note 3 they notice the quaility of the colours and depth (due to the black levels). OLED displays has the best static contrast, super wide colour gamut, low power consumption and low latency. They are better than the best plasma ever was (Pioneers KURO).

Thorfkin

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Price isn't the only problem facing OLED. Last I heard they still suffer from both severe burn-in and from a short life-span primarily due to the blue chemical degradation problem. Plasma continues to be the best alternative to LCD. It's a shame Panasonic exited the plasma market. They made some of the best large 3D sets.

InvalidError

Distinguished
I do not care about the 'curve.'

What I want is a display with TRUE 10 000:1 or better contrast without backlight bleed-through or any obvious backlight or color uniformity issues. Most LCDs on the market today do not even break 1000:1 contrast, have fairly obvious bleed-through and non-uniformity when displaying a mostly black screen in a dark room.

OLED will displace LEDs eventually. Sorting out all the mass-production challenges is just taking longer than the industry originally expected. Once everything is sorted out, OLEDs should become cheaper than LCDs and LCDs will become mostly history.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
It's so bizarre how they keep pushing curved displays. Who asked for those? What I personally want is better image quality.

4K is another strange tech driver...

They did the same with 3D. Appearntly the old marketing system of find what people want and sell it has changed to make something then shove it down ppls throat untill they like it....

Lucky for me I go the plasma way, even If Panasonic and Samsung goes out of that market, ill just start buying LG. Who knows, maybe LG will be able to improve their black levels and Input lag, and then get a killer TV.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Just due to their chemical nature, OLEDs are a whole lot less stable than their metal/metal oxide LED counterparts. Have they figured out a way around blue OLEDs from degrading faster than reds and yellows? IMO, since we keep TVs around a lot longer than our cellphones, OLED should just be restricted to "disposable" electronics

They've came a long ways since the first generation. Blue OLED diodes in the newer generations achieves 62,000 hours of usage rating (compared to 198,000 hours for the green) - none the less, that is 7 years of 25/7 usage.

Hours of usage rating dosent mean anything. You still only get 2 years on your TV. If it dies after that, noone will care for the "Estimated life span".

Status
Not open for further replies.