Ask camera expert

sunstar20

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Hi

As a beginner,need your expert advice on whether to buy SLR camera or pro-SLR...
Please suggest some having >12 mp, >30optical zoom
Budget 20-30K

cin19

Distinguished
1) What type of photography will you be doing? (portraits, landscapes, macro, sports)

2) What experience level do you have with cameras?

3) What do you need the camera for? ( professional or have fun )

4) Do you already own any camera gear?

sunstar20

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Hi

Thank you for your reply. I am new to slr cameras. I have been using Nikon CoolPix 200. At times the quality of the picture is very poor (especially during low light).I have been using that during various trips to collect good memories.I have been clicking portraits, landscapes.
I have shortlisted few cameras and it would be nice if you can check them out. Please do suggest if you have any other options.

Canon 550d
Nikon 3200

nikorr

Distinguished

OK, u don't need pro camera.

Get DSLR with 2 lenses - wide angle and tele-zoom.

Where are u shopping? USA?

Post link...

cin19

Distinguished
Both of them are very good for you. I only use the canon but don't mean either canon is better than Nikon or Nikon is better than canon, because my first photo teacher use the canon.

For the 550D is as same as the Rebel T2i in USA, and I usually recommend the canon brand lens. You can get the canon EF 24-105mm f4L for $1050 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AZ57M6/ref=asc_df_B000AZ57M62099806?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pgtvs-252-47-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395097&creativeASIN=B000AZ57M6to start. Then you can add other lens such as more wide angle lens (< 24mm) or telephoto lens.

The D3200 is also a good camera, and usually Nikon is more expensive than the canon. If you take the d3200, then 24-120 mm f/4 lens is the good one. In here (USA) it will cost $1300.

By the way don't buy the Kit lens that come w/ the camera, like 550D w/ 18-55mm or 18-135mm. Also don't buy the cheaper the third party lenses, if you buy just get the few good 3rd party lens like some of them: sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC macro, Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di II.

And go to the web to read a lot to learn how to control and setting the camera too. When after you get the camera read the manual completely and go out to shot a lot, and take a look the pictures you took and compare w/ other to see what is different. If there is the different and find out how to improve.

Last thing go out and take a lot the pictures. Like NiKorr said you need tripod, external flash, and some filter too, but don't put the filter on the lens all the time.