Ask experts best digital cameras

G

Hello,I am new to digital,color cameras.Years ago,I took photography,beginning,and used old studio cameras,light meters,& did only black/white photos;but we did scenic,art,even portraits,with lighting.Now,I need a :digital camera,which can do scenery(trees,my place,)close ups,for detailed objects(objects to sell);indoor,and outdoor,and low-light capibility,and as much detail,sharpness,as I can get(even on close ups.)I won;t do a lot of action,just some squirrels.I had no idea what to spend,I notice that 12 to 14 megapixels are best;I used to love photography,and I want to grow into it,again,with this camera;it's not just a "quick snap."I plan to take a senior digital camera class,to get acquainted with it.I do a lot of art,and computer art.(I've been an artist all my life.)So a good picture is important to me.OK,am I around 300-to 500-600 dollars?(ouch.)Can I get computer software with it,for it?I've been reading camera reviews,tons,and I'm very confused.ha.What do you think best fits me?thanks so much,dh bucher,Eugene,Oregon

G

If you are serious you'll probably end up with an SLR which will probably cost rather more than one of the compact cameras that most people buy.

One reason is that SLR can accomodate a larger sensor -- the 14 megapixel thing is slightly compromised on compacts because there's a limit to how many pixels you can stick on a small sensor before noise (random unwanted effects) becomes an issue.

Obviously the SLR allows a wide range of lenses -- but that boosts the cost further.

Personally I've owned Leica and Canon pro 35mm cameras and I was reluctant to go to digital -- in fact I initially just inherited used ones from friends who were upgrading and then bought a couple of 6 and 7 megapixel compacts ridiculously cheap secondhand.

While I don't really enjoy using compact digital cameras -- they're awkward to hold and far too automated for my tastes -- the results are often pleasing and the convenience of seeing instant results is undeniable.

I think I'd recommend starting with a mid price compact -- the investment won't be wasted because, even if you eventually get an SLR, you won't want to drag a full size camera out with you every time. Look for one which is comfortable to hold and has simple physical controls to save you squinting at menus in bright sunlight.

Don't try to buy the most megapixels for the least cash -- the manufactures are wise to the fact that buyers are lazy and just go by the numbers of pixels as a guide to quality (see above).

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
dont leica specially in compacts??

i got the v-lux 20 and i love it to bits. still a compact digital, buit i dont need my camera to shoot exactly what im looking at.

some of the later canon and nikon and similar japanese makes have live view now, so u can use the LCD to take the pictures or use the live view to see the picture instantly after taken.