Solved! New Compact Camera

Dec 12, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a new digital compact camera to replace my old Lumix TZ7. I am looking for something similar but much better in low light ( TZ7 is bad in low light) and also has good macro. I have been looking at various cameras but am just getting bogged down with all the reviews and thought I would ask people that know about cameras. I have a budget of £270 max. Thanks in advance

Solution
Compact cameras are much the same and the various brands only offer longer zooms and more megapixels over one another.

If you want a camera that can perform well in low light then you want a mirrorless camera or an SLR. The image sensor (which collects light) is much larger on these cameras and the interchangeable lenses generally allow the lens to open further, allowing more light to be collected. The principle of a lens opening is exactly the same as how your pupils grow and shrink. The downside of these cameras is that they aren't as pocketable as a compact camera and require some practice to get the most out of them. You also won't get anything close to the optical zooms that some compact cameras have.

bicycle_repair_man

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Compact cameras are much the same and the various brands only offer longer zooms and more megapixels over one another.

If you want a camera that can perform well in low light then you want a mirrorless camera or an SLR. The image sensor (which collects light) is much larger on these cameras and the interchangeable lenses generally allow the lens to open further, allowing more light to be collected. The principle of a lens opening is exactly the same as how your pupils grow and shrink. The downside of these cameras is that they aren't as pocketable as a compact camera and require some practice to get the most out of them. You also won't get anything close to the optical zooms that some compact cameras have.

Solution

cin19

Distinguished
You need to up the budget for the camera, because the compact camera is not good for the low light and macro, just like other member said.

For low light, you need the large aperture lens, like F2.8, even the F1.0, 1.2, etc. if you can't use the flashlight. Also usually the micro lens has the 1:1 or 1:2 ratios feature, which means you can reproduce objects at life-size (1:1) or at half-size (1:2).