Solved! Asking (maybe) stupid question regarding laptop memory upgrade

Jul 6, 2021
So, my laptop is Razer Blade 15 Advance (2020) with memory of 16 gigs and 2933 Mhz of speed. I decided to upgrade the memory to 32 gigs, however with lower speed 2666 Mhz (corsair vengeance sodimm). It booted up for at least 1 minute and then started to on-off screen with approx. pause of 3-10 seconds. I forced shut down the laptop and boot it up again then it won't even reach the desktop.

I contacted the shop which I bought the memory upgrade from. The guy said the speed need to be the same with my laptop maximum speed allowed? I was so confused. I thought it would be okay if the memory upgrades are at lower speed? I would've understand the issues I had if the upgrade kit speed is higher from 2933 Mhz. Am I missing something here?

MikeNettleton

Prominent
Sep 19, 2019
The speed of the Corsair RAM should have been fine. Remove the original memory completely. Does the machine boot with just the Corsair memory? You can also put back just the original RAM, check the machine still boots OK and then run the Crucial compatibility scanner.

Jul 6, 2021
The speed of the Corsair RAM should have been fine. Remove the original memory completely. Does the machine boot with just the Corsair memory? You can also put back just the original RAM, check the machine still boots OK and then run the Crucial compatibility scanner.

As of now I'm replying to you, I'm using the original memory (the 2933 Mhz), both of the modules. So yeah it does boot.

The problem emerged when I swapped both of the modules with the Corsair (2666 Mhz). Like I said before, it booted to desktop for a minute or so and then it won't boot at all (just reached Razer logo).

I wouldn't even think to test boot with original module on slot 1 and Corsair module on slot 2 since they clocked on different speed. As to my knowledge, it would be unwise to run different speed anyway.