Aspire 7551-7422 Freezes

DudeRun

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
I bought this Aspire 7551-7422 almost 10 days ago:

AMD Phenom II X4 N970
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
4GB DDR3 Memory

Basically, its the $498 model from Walmart if you need more specs than that. Well, sometimes, it doesn't matter what I'm doing...I could simply have one tab open in FF and using MSWord and the mouse will stop, which then means the whole com freezes, forcing me to coldboot it.

I don't know why it would do this. It happened two days after I bought it and it happened twice today. Any ideas what could cause this?

I have 15 days to return it for a refund or exchange so I'm thinking about returning and getting my $$ back because I'm scared to get another one now.

Thanks for any help.

Solution

hello, i have the samr laptop also from wallmart.this is the 2nd one,the first one about 3 days past the 15, started freezing up.at any given moment, to the point i had to pull the batery out to reset it.then eventually all i got when i turned it on was a blue screen, windows would not boot, i tried booting in safe mode no luck,still just a blue screen,since i had not made a boot disk yet,i was stuck i contacted acer there tech people...

DudeRun

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
I'm not sure if we're allowed to double post here but since it's been a little bit and some have seen this thread, I'll add this new bit of info I think MIGHT be an issue, but not sure why it would be.

I use an external USB mouse and I turn off the touchpad using FN F8. I had done that this morning before it froze if I remember, and I know I turned off the touchpad before it had froze this evening.

Could turning the touchpad off and using my USB mouse really make the system freeze? I don't see why and maybe it's coincidence but could that be a problem that any techie is aware of?

You might be on to something there with the USB behavior (BAD behavior).

Can you do some testing without using the USB mouse and not turning off the touchpad?
I would suspect maybe the touchpad turned off being the problem before the USB mouse.

DudeRun

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, perhaps its conflicting with each other. I haven't had another problem since last night and haven't turned off the touch pad. We'll see how it goes. I have three more days I think until I can return it, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the reply.

DudeRun

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
Well, after turning it on this morning, I wrote one word in MSWord and the com froze. I didn't turn the pad off, so I really have no clue. Since I wasn't playing a game or anything, and I just turned it on, I can't see why it would freeze from overheating.

I'm going to return it. Oh well. :heink:

dennisg

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

hello, i have the samr laptop also from wallmart.this is the 2nd one,the first one about 3 days past the 15, started freezing up.at any given moment, to the point i had to pull the batery out to reset it.then eventually all i got when i turned it on was a blue screen, windows would not boot, i tried booting in safe mode no luck,still just a blue screen,since i had not made a boot disk yet,i was stuck i contacted acer there tech people were not the best i seemed to know more that they did.i build a few now and then but no master.anyway, after me telling them that we were not making progress, they told me i needed to boot for the factory disk and would send one to me.gave me a case # and let me go, 2 weeks went by no disk.so i called my local wallmart where i know most of the electronics people and they agreed to take it back as a exchange only cause of the time frame, i really just wanted my money.so far i have had little issues with this one,but its still ok, great screen picture for movies.but i never got a return call or follow up from acer on the first one.there customer service is terrible, and there support staff isnt that much better.wish id got the toshiba.and to this day no disk, i suspect the first one had hard drive failure.

Solution

DudeRun

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah that's rough. Well, it's good you got one that seems to work now. I went ahead and got the exchange and hope that it works this time. So far so good...fingers crossed.

If this happens to start freezing too, I hope it's before the 15 days is up; otherwise, I may throw the thing out the window.

sbyte

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011

n
nbought the aspire 7551-7422 17 inch screen. Good computer but did have a glicch and was freezing up on the keypad. Defrag the harddive and turn off and on the Mcfee services and that solved the problem.

DudeRun

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011

That didn't work when I tried. I defraged, cleaned the system, always uninstall crap McFee and ran my own stuff. What fixed my computer was returning it and getting a new one. The one I'm typing on now is the same model and has never frozen. Some have glitches; others don't.