Astro A40 7.1 Surround Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenchie2510

Estimable
Jul 18, 2015
Ok, so I'm going to buy a sound card, but I don't know which one I should buy. I use Astro A40's without the mix amp (Mic Quality Is Bad), so I just have the wire going from my headset into a 3.5mm splitter. It splits into the green and pink wire, for audio and mic input respectively.

I'm just wondering if I can get 7.1 surround without the mix amp,which Sound Card should I buy? Or can I just get a splitter on the end of my 3.5mm cable to do this? Basically I'm just stuck. lol. Sorry for the big paragraph I'm on my phone and can't split into paragraphs effectively. I'll check back tomorrow, thanks in advance :)

Solution
Hate to break it to you, but you can't get 5.1/7.1 without the mixamp, and only then it's compressed audio. What you really get is simulated surround sound, as the mixamp filters the audio to make it seem like audio is coming from different places like a surround sound set up would, while only using two drivers(one in each earcup). What you need to do is look for a sound card that has DDL or dolby digital live. Once you do that and have it installed, you want to run a toslink cable from the spdif output on the card, to your mixamp. Then while in windows, you want to choose your soundcards spdif output as the default device, and in the recording devices, set the mixamp as your default communication device. You could check your...

BloodravenD

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Hate to break it to you, but you can't get 5.1/7.1 without the mixamp, and only then it's compressed audio. What you really get is simulated surround sound, as the mixamp filters the audio to make it seem like audio is coming from different places like a surround sound set up would, while only using two drivers(one in each earcup). What you need to do is look for a sound card that has DDL or dolby digital live. Once you do that and have it installed, you want to run a toslink cable from the spdif output on the card, to your mixamp. Then while in windows, you want to choose your soundcards spdif output as the default device, and in the recording devices, set the mixamp as your default communication device. You could check your motherboard, it might have a spdif output for audio, in which case you wouldn't need to bother with a sound card. You can't get 5.1 or 7.1 over the 3.5mm cable, only stereo.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.