Astro A40 - optical

johnny423

Estimable
Mar 15, 2014
I have a the p8z77-v pro mobo and i was wondering if it supports dolby digital and if i can get 7.1 out of my astro a40 headset.

Solution
The motherboard has optical out which I assume you know. I just mentioned that for people who may read this post. The mobo does support Dolby but is optional and what that means unless the mobo manufacturer pays for the licenses(which would make the mobo more expensive), it doesn't have the software. For example here are the optional items.

Optional: Dolby PCEE program, SRS TruSurround HD, SRS Premium Sound, Fortemedia SAM, Creative Host Audio, Synopsys Sonic Focus, DTS Surround Sensation | UltraPC, and DTS Connect licenses. and link:http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=284

I'm also guessing that you don't have the Astro mixamp which has Dolby digital. So you would need to...
The motherboard has optical out which I assume you know. I just mentioned that for people who may read this post. The mobo does support Dolby but is optional and what that means unless the mobo manufacturer pays for the licenses(which would make the mobo more expensive), it doesn't have the software. For example here are the optional items.

Optional: Dolby PCEE program, SRS TruSurround HD, SRS Premium Sound, Fortemedia SAM, Creative Host Audio, Synopsys Sonic Focus, DTS Surround Sensation | UltraPC, and DTS Connect licenses. and link:http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=284

I'm also guessing that you don't have the Astro mixamp which has Dolby digital. So you would need to buy the mixamp, or a soundcard or pay for the Dolby digital software.

Another thing I would like to mention, SPDIF(optical/digital) only supports 2.1 uncompressed audio so anything above 2.1 will be compressed. Analog, HDMI and display port do support true, discreet and uncompressed audio for 5.1 and above. What this means with SPDIF and the Astros, you can only get simulated 5.1 and above.

I hope this clears some things up but if you have any other questions please post back.

Be seeing you, the Prisoner...

Solution

johnny423

Estimable
Mar 15, 2014

Okay, i was going to buy the mixamp with the astro a40s, or should i just get the Sennheiser PC363D? and i will only beable to get 7.1 with the a40s when i buy a sound card? and will i beable to get 7.1 out of the sennheisers?

You won't be able to get true/discreet 5.1/7.1 or better using headphones with 2 speakers. You can only get simulated surround with headphones with only 2 speakers. SPDIF(optical) will only have simulated 5.1/7.1 sound anyways.

You won't need a sound card for either headset since they both use a mix amp type device that acts like a sound card. Since you already have the Astros, it would be cheaper just to buy the mix amp for the Astros.

Personally they are both way overpriced but I have heard the Astros and they are good for gaming. I haven't heard the Sennheisers but they make good headphones, not sure if they make good headsets though. The headsets I would recommend aren't made anymore. They used true/discreet 5.1.

Based on price the Astros sounds like a better deal as long as you get it with the mix amp. Other wise if you don't get the mix amp just a good pair of headphones matched with Creative Z sound card works well too. Creative Z sound card comes with a good mic but you will want to have somewhere close to your mouth. A foot away or closer is good to avoid those "wonky sounds". Of course you will need to install it and a have a free slot.

Link to Creative sound cards: http://us.creative.com/promos/Sound...omepage&eventlabel=promo_SoundBlasterZ-Series