Astro A40TR or Audio Technica 900x (trying to understand)

Michael_13

Estimable
Sep 3, 2015
I bought an expensive Seinheisser headset from Amazon but sent it back because while plugged in to my PC, I couldn't seem to directly adjust it's performance via 3.5 plugin, So I replaced it with a Steelseries USB headset which I could actually use my Soundblaster X-Fi to adjust the sound. The quality of the Steelseries is not what I want so I'll be upgrading to a high end set. I know I can get the Astro A40 for 250$ with the amp. Is that the difference, do I need to buy an Amp to get decent directional sound and such from the non-gaming higher end headphones?

warhead0

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Your sondcard should already be equipped with a decent amp. I have no idea how you were using a USB headset with your soundcard, but that's another problem.

An amp isn't really going to increase your audio quality, more just increase the volume of your audio. It will not give you better 'surround sound'.

Personally I would go with the AT's over the Astro, just because I trust the AT brand alot more.

Michael_13

Estimable
Sep 3, 2015

I think so too but the soundcard is built into the mobo. The USB plugin allows the headset to actually register and load as an audio device allowing the alterations I do in sound settings to actually effect the headphones directly... I couldn't get a 3.5 headset that does not load into the PC as an audio device to give out the same performance ... I have a mic, so I don't need a headset, so I'd rather get a great pair of headphones but the Sennheiser 558 or whatever were suppose to be good and these Steelseries Siberia headphones work better, from what I assume is based on it actually loading as an audio device.

warhead0

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
You should be able to control your headphones when they are used with either the 3.5mm or 1/4" jack.

But I haven't used your motherboard and it's audio features so I might be missing something.