Astro A50 or Kingston HyperX Cloud I or Cloud II?

Jun 4, 2015
Hi! Currently I have an Astro A50 headset and I am in the process of switching since I need closed cups for LAN. Now, are the Kingston HyperX Cloud an upgrade over my Astro, including the fact that I need a closed cup headset? And if so, Cloud I or II?

(Cloud I is stereo and Cloud II is Virtual 7.1 Surround if you didn't know.)
My main game is CS:GO.

Thanks for solving my problems and let me know if you need anything.
Cheers!

Solution
agreed, the a50 is closed back...the same as the hyper x cloud. while the hxc is certainly good, i dont know if i would consider it as good as $300 headset and certainly not an upgrade. closed back means no venting, or closed cups in case you did not know. in essence you already have what you want.

if you wanted an actual upgrade to audio quality (since you already have closed back) you would need to go with separate headphones and a microphone. something like the dt770 with a modmic would be good.

anti-duck

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
I don't know what you mean when you say 'closed cups', but the Astro A50 is closed back, the same as the HyperX Cloud headsets. I haven't used the Astro A50, but judging from the price tag, I'd hope that it would blow the HyperX Cloud headsets away.

The mic on the HyperX Cloud II is really good as far as headset microphones go, but poor in general, I'd rather go for the Taskstar Pro80 with a Zalman ZMMIC1 and Razer Surround.

agreed, the a50 is closed back...the same as the hyper x cloud. while the hxc is certainly good, i dont know if i would consider it as good as $300 headset and certainly not an upgrade. closed back means no venting, or closed cups in case you did not know. in essence you already have what you want.

if you wanted an actual upgrade to audio quality (since you already have closed back) you would need to go with separate headphones and a microphone. something like the dt770 with a modmic would be good.

Solution
Jun 4, 2015

Closed cups or open cups are the same as open back and closed back, just instead of the back it is the cups (those that surround your ear) that blocks sound or lets sound through by either a leather or microfiber design. I also cannot find the Taskstar Pro80 in Norway.

anti-duck

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah, I just meant that the Pro80's + Zalman lav + Razer Surround would essentially be a HyperX Cloud II with a better quality mic and for cheaper and it's what I would go for over the Cloud II, but it isn't going to compete with your Astro A50. I wasn't necessarily recommending them to you.

It's unfortunate that there aren't any hardware driver surround headphones that I know of, and you have arguably the best headset out there already.