ASU_MSI_TRAN possible virus?

Skullcursher588

Estimable
May 24, 2015
Today my anti-virus program stopped working randomly and refused to update and the scans were very slow. The only solution I found to fix it was with system restore but I noticed that something called ASU_MSI_TRAN was installed multiple times and I don't remember installing this at all and can't find it. Is this a virus or something I should be worried about?

Skullcursher588

Estimable
May 24, 2015

I'm pretty sure it isn't. Besides I would have seen something like that before right? This is the first time I'm seeing it and the fact that it appeared two days ago on my system restore list as "installed" and now this happens is kind of fishy too yeah?

Skullcursher588

Estimable
May 24, 2015

Thanks for that. Knowing that it probably isn't malware is a good thing haha. I'm starting to think it might be something to do with the avast anti virus update? They released a new program update a day or two ago and every time I install it, restart my computer, and check avast, it tells me that I'm unprotected along with refusing to update and scans very slow. Also it disables my windows defender and prevents me from turning it on as well

Sixstringaxis

Estimable
Nov 26, 2015
Today I have been having the exact same problem. I am a paid avast user. I tried the same steps to remedy the problem. As I was doing so I called avast and was on hold for a very long time.

Eventually I got through. They said I am not the only one having the problem and that it does have to do with a Microsoft update.. I am guessing which clashed with the avast update. They said the problem should be fixed by tomorrow! We will see.

During all this I ran rogue killer and it red flagged asu_msi_tran as a restore point issue. Which I deleted. I am hoping it I didn't delete an important Microsoft file.

Anyway, crossing my fingers that avast has this fixed soon and it doesn't become an ongoing issue.

Skullcursher588

Estimable
May 24, 2015

Good to know we aren't the only people having the same issue then and hopefully it is fixed soon. Although I'm a little scared as to when I should probably try to update it again

Gabriel_75

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
I had the same isue with the diferent that a lost al my files (documents, video and audio files; not programs files and installers(?)); ive tried to recover all files was corrupted no way to recover.
whereever attacckme was a deadly virus, no dout!
This warnig was in my system...
""main program registry and directory setup validation failed"

"please verify setup program ran correctly""
[don't post your email address on the forum]

MattMiller

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

My computer is setup with an Admin and Standard User. The user side is fine , but the Admin lost all its Desktop settings. I looked at my sys restore and saw the same BS of the Asu msi tran :-( So I did a Sys restore to the earliest point available ( that still said ASU) and crossed my fingers! And it worked :) So try Sys restore... it will work or it won't! PS Your files won't come back unless you had Sys Restore set up to back them up....although.....if your 'user' profile comes back, then you should be able to go into that and find them! If you need help....find a good guru....or write me....I'm a Pro! And I can do remote log in and see what I can see! Matt