Lerc

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014
I am using my wife's ASUS EEE 1215B as my - 1215N is on the blink.

My issue is the right hand 2x USB slots do not work. Anything I plug into it is not recognized and it is not receiving power. I cannot figure out why...

• - I've tried updating drivers. Removing all old drivers in case of any conflicts.

- I saw a previous post of someone having an issue with USB / Wireless being connected in some capacity so I tried removing all network related drivers and re installing them all fresh.

- I've tried updating the BIOS to see if there was a feature to enable them, however there still isnt.

- I have changed the power settings disabling the computer from disabling the usb slots to save power.

- I have tried uninstalling and re installing all usb related drivers.

Short of re installing windows and/or replacing motherboard piece (from the 1215N) I don't know what is left to try...

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Many Thanks,

Kev

edit - it may be worth noting that the 1x USB Left side does work.

brarboy

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
take it to the service center, if USB ports have never worked on it from start.
Just to check:
Go to Control Panel> Device Manager> At the end, under Universal Serial Bus, do you see any yellow triangle caution sign?

Lerc

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014
It is out of warranty though wife reckons they used to work.
There are no warnings. I'm thinking they've just died but it seems strange that both the 2.0 and 3.0 on right don't work but the 2.0 on left works.

brarboy

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

One thing you can check is follow the procedure of the following link, just to ensure again if USB controllers ain't disabled in bios:
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/turn-usb-port-bios-53618.html
If everything is fine in there problem can be due to broken connection on motherboard too. Though i would recheck with re-installing OS and then reinstalling drivers.

Lerc

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014
Tried looking in the BIOS before - Tried again just so I could confirm; there is no USB option within the BIOS. It seems a little basic to be honest. Under on board device there is only Audio Lan WLan and Bluetooth -_-

That's why I tried flashing it to see if it may add the option but it didn't change anything

If I can't fix it - I will try a new OS at the weekend, failing that I have that part of my 1215N ready to replace it with (Seen as the 1215N is as good as dead)

brarboy

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

yeah, you must be mentioning as locked bios. Anyway, i hope installing OS does some magic and put those ports to work. Good luck, and keep me posted :)

Hi, the USB on the left, is it for charging also. The other two on the right side are on a board connected to the motherboard by a ribbon, like brarboy said, maybe the connection at the connector is not good. Also, you have some fuses, maybe one of them is open.

Lerc

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014
I tried a wipe and reinstall of the OS and it didn't help so I went with plan B. Took the whole computer apart and replaced right hand motherboard with the one removed from my 1215N (decommissioned). It now works

What fuses are you referring to Jarotech?

This is the one that I was removing as the USB slots weren't working.
Not sure if this little blighter had anything to do with it - I tested a power up to ensure I had all connections in before putting it all back together and noticed this resistor glowed and looked quite angry for a second, burning out. Not sure if that's it's intended job but the slight smoke would suggest other wise? Safe to say that card is now toast, but my new one works a treat.
[img=160x120]http://imageshack.com/a/img46/115/xxrm.jpg[/img]

And anyone wondering - that ribbon clip is lift up, not pull out like the mouse and keyboard ones... That'll explain the chip lol

TRENDING THREADS