Asus Announces Padfone, a Tablet/Phone Combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I'd prefer to see the Atrix concept implemented properly, for instance turning the phone into a touchpad rather than sticking out the back.

This Padfone is a bit gimmicky. Other than the convenience of tucking the phone away when you're using the tablet, what's wrong with just tethering the tablet to the phone over WiFi?

sentico

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]LePhuronn[/nom]I'd prefer to see the Atrix concept implemented properly, for instance turning the phone into a touchpad rather than sticking out the back.This Padfone is a bit gimmicky. Other than the convenience of tucking the phone away when you're using the tablet, what's wrong with just tethering the tablet to the phone over WiFi?[/citation]

If I'm understanding you right and if I'm understanding the product right, the tablet is just a screen and a battery. The phone does all the processing. With this implementation, I think some of the benefits are obvious. In my opinion though, IOS/Android tablets in it's current form are useless. Win 7 tablets still need work. How about a nice, sleek, thin 13.3"-14.1" laptop with 1440x900+ resolution and 7+ hour battery life? Anyone know of any? (Mac Air doesn't count)

gbismack

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
[citation][nom]sentico[/nom]If I'm understanding you right and if I'm understanding the product right, the tablet is just a screen and a battery. The phone does all the processing. With this implementation, I think some of the benefits are obvious. In my opinion though, IOS/Android tablets in it's current form are useless. Win 7 tablets still need work. How about a nice, sleek, thin 13.3"-14.1" laptop with 1440x900+ resolution and 7+ hour battery life? Anyone know of any? (Mac Air doesn't count)[/citation]

I just typed up a reply but its not showing up. Ill re-post it.

Yeh the Samsung Series 9. I just got mine last week. 13.3" Core i5 ULV 4gbRAM 128SSD. Over 7 hours battery. Samsung claims hybrid sleep to usable Windows in 3 seconds, honestly its less than that.

gbismack

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
And its 0.64" thick, thats thinner than the MacBook Air with the horribly outdated Core2 ULV processor.

The only thinner I know of is a Sony, but its a $1000 netbook as it has an Atom processor.

G

is it just me or do i see the touch screen of the phone wasted in such a setup, with enough processing power (quad core???) the touch phone screen can be used as a auxiliary display, or as an extended interface (underside touch pad), to just tuck it away seems like a waste

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I'm a bit confused as to why AT&T is the only carrier of a Phone/Tablet combination, the ATRIX. I would've thought by now some form of competition would be out for other carriers.

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Hmm it would be interesting if this used a tegra chip, running on android 3.0 changing the ppi when switching between tablet and phone mode to get different UI's. That would be pretty damned cool, and work well.

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]UnderUtilisedDisplay[/nom]is it just me or do i see the touch screen of the phone wasted in such a setup, with enough processing power (quad core???) the touch phone screen can be used as a auxiliary display, or as an extended interface (underside touch pad), to just tuck it away seems like a waste[/citation]

But not tucking it away creates a lot of useless space because screen sizes are different. Perhaps if they had that design except the phone on a hinge and could be rotated out(flipped over also) to make both screens usefull. I doubt it though, android has little compatibility for dual screens, not enough processing power to be very useful. The atrix idea is cool, but when I stuck my phone into a dock in a store, it was worse than uselessly slow. An eepad for just a bit more fares better.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
How about having a tablet have all the phone functions built in but having a bluetooth headset.

Way. way, way easier and would cost less too, plus doing video calling would be more user friendly with a bigger screen.

Gimmick, bound to fail.

G

I say it all depends on the price,might fail or it might be successful.

ImagineTek

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
ok, give me this design combined with the Transformer, so I have the option of smart phone, tablet or laptop in one package, and combine it with a dual option of IOS/Andriod type OS for media consumption and full blown OS for productivity, then you really do have my attention. It can only be a matter of time surely.

i7Rocks

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]How about having a tablet have all the phone functions built in but having a bluetooth headset.Way. way, way easier and would cost less too, plus doing video calling would be more user friendly with a bigger screen.Gimmick, bound to fail.[/citation]

Yeah cause most people want to carry a tablet around all the time??? only having a tablet makes no sense at all, I want something that fits in my pocket. However when on a plane or at home I would prefer a larger screen.

Currently I have a droid and ipad, love both to death. This idea is genius though, I can have both a pad and phone, they use the same 3g connection so i am only paying 1 data plan and they have the same apps/data so I don't have to install on both. If this ever hits the market i will be first in line.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I think this would really be a hit if the tablet was running windows 7 and the phone was running android, and when the phone was inside the tablet, it just acts like a charger / screen extender for the phone (current design?), but separately you would have android and windows. The best of both worlds!

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I think it makes a lot of sense to me, tablets are just oversized phones. This would allow us to use our data on our phone without having to root it to use tethering.

Status
Not open for further replies.