asus f3jc laptop won't start up with battery and power adaptor plugged in-

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AllanFS

Commendable
May 18, 2016
battery is fully charged and working - power button does nothing ,so to start it ,have to take battery out -reconnect the power adaptor -it then starts automatically without pressing the power button, What's happening -Can anyone help -please?
note; The power button will put the laptop to sleep mode - so i'm sure it is working OK-
Maybe my settings need changing but what-??

AllanFS

Commendable
May 18, 2016
Hello. I checked the contacts- which were clean and shining like a new pin- no problem there and there was still 3 volts in the cmos old battery but still changed it for a new one-

AllanFS

Commendable
May 18, 2016
Hi -further observation -I noticed that when it boots up as previousy mentioned- the green power light stays on but the internet and bluetooth lights just flash on and then go out - but still can go online and send and recieve bluetooth files -? judt another delema I suppose

I'm still convinced that the problem is around the RTC battery, I have found a schematic for the F3JR. Maybe a diode is open and is not letting pass the voltage from the battery. But the problem is, on your motherboard the components don't have number to identify them, so, you cannot find the diode.

AllanFS

Commendable
May 18, 2016

AllanFS

Commendable
May 18, 2016
thank's for your ideas- I think your right- Is there anything I can do to check the diodes or circuitry generally- or am I better using it as it is -untill it packs up completely and then bin it

AllanFS

Commendable
May 18, 2016

In general, if you do not have a short circuit, any components will show no sign of failure. When you learn something new, time is never wasted. But it will be wise to just use the laptop like this. In time, we can perhaps find the problem, but you will have to unsolder the component to replace it.

AllanFS

Commendable
May 18, 2016

AllanFS

Commendable
May 18, 2016
yes thank you so much for your time and patience- I will do that - I have some tools to do the work - but need to do some reading etc. in order to get the understanding - I might be fun to dabble but realising the dangers -I shan't do anything rash- thanks again- very glad you helped me

AllanFS

Commendable
May 18, 2016

Dear Jarotech,
i´m very sorry but the laptop stopped working completely, it made a horrible noise when turned it on and that was the lst straw.
It has now been retired to the bin , properly dispoed of via the recycling place nearby.
So goodbye my old mate
Good news -i´ve bought a new one ASUS OF COURSE-VERY HAPPY NOW.
Many thanks for your help and patience