Solved! Asus G15 vs Lenovo Y540

agaitan026

Great
May 29, 2020
Hi everyone, im looking for these two laptop, which one should i pick? i know they are cheaper one but they are out of stock mostly.

1. Lenovo Legion Y540 15.6" FHD IPS 144hz i7-9750H, 16GB, 1.5TB HDD+SSD RTX 2060 $1270
  2. ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15: Ryzen 7 4800HS, 1TB SSD, 16GB, RTX 2060, 15.6" 240Hz FHD $1499

$232 price difference

or maybe a MSI laptop?

i will be playing gta v, xplane 11, fortnite, star wars, photoshop illustrator tasks (not heavy)

thank you

Solution
There is no adapter for the 2nd drive,,,it is just a SATA connector, so just buy the right drive and you connect it directly.

if you download Throttelstop, get what they call the beta... it works fine. In the zip file you will see a link to a fantastic guide on one of the websites. It is all you need.

I am not on that computer now, but if you need settings let me know. I undervolted, made sure speed shift was active, and I also dropped the core multipliers a little bit. But that might be overkill, especially if you use headphones when playing.... it depends on your sensitivity to fan noise, I need to hear enemies approaching.... 😎🧐😉

R

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hi, I am not familiar with AMD processors. But I have the Y540 with the same config except it came with one nvme SSD and I added a 2nd SATA SSD drive.

I am very happy with the laptop which I use exclusively for gaming. Ghost Recon, COD, etc. no problems at all.

Like all gaming laptops, the cooling is not perfect. I undervolted with Throttlestop, and also turned hybrid mode on so it would not use the video card when it didn’t need to. If you have specific questions about this laptop, let me know.

Good luck,
R

Reactions: agaitan026

agaitan026

Great
May 29, 2020
Hi, I am not familiar with AMD processors. But I have the Y540 with the same config except it came with one nvme SSD and I added a 2nd SATA SSD drive.

I am very happy with the laptop which I use exclusively for gaming. Ghost Recon, COD, etc. no problems at all.

Like all gaming laptops, the cooling is not perfect. I undervolted with Throttlestop, and also turned hybrid mode on so it would not use the video card when it didn’t need to. If you have specific questions about this laptop, let me know.

Good luck,
R

Yeah i bought the y540 as a starter laptop will be my first one lol i like it because of the design, it doesnt look like a gaming laptop with colors and rgb keyboard.

yes mine too i have 1tb regular ssd plus a 512 nvme, i may change the 1tb for a 1tb ssd (laptop comes with an adapter for sata ssd right?)

yes please if you have a guide to undervolt let me know

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
There is no adapter for the 2nd drive,,,it is just a SATA connector, so just buy the right drive and you connect it directly.

if you download Throttelstop, get what they call the beta... it works fine. In the zip file you will see a link to a fantastic guide on one of the websites. It is all you need.

I am not on that computer now, but if you need settings let me know. I undervolted, made sure speed shift was active, and I also dropped the core multipliers a little bit. But that might be overkill, especially if you use headphones when playing.... it depends on your sensitivity to fan noise, I need to hear enemies approaching.... 😎🧐😉

R

Reactions: agaitan026
Solution

agaitan026

Great
May 29, 2020

R

You right lol i should by just a regular sata ssd thats it.

Well im new on this if theres any laptop on earth for gaming that doenst have any fan noise i will buy it for sure lol for me all laptop have a bad fan noise that is normal

agaitan026

Great
May 29, 2020

R

i just got this great laptop, could you send me your undervolt settings? its rtx 2060 i7

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
I would get this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...06-20&linkId=ef1deb8445a379fc8df45c532e599b21

MSI GL65 Leopard 10SFK-062
15.6" FHD 144Hz Intel Core i7-10750H
RTX 2070
16GB RAM
512GB NVMe SSD

Better CPU and Graphics card if you're going to be gaming. The only drawback is it's only a 512GB SSD but you can upgrade that later. The CPU and GPU you cannot.

This machine looks awesome... that CPU is only moderately faster than the 9750H, but I love the idea of the full 2070.

I am not surprised that we are starting to see some of the 2020 models come out now...

R

Jun 29, 2020
Hello :)))
I also have legion y540 . i bought it a month ago with characteristics:
Intel Core i7-9750HF
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
16 GB RAM
512 SSD
144 Hz IPS

and i have problems with high temperatures- i reach 97 degrees . Can someone explain me how to work with throttlestop.

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hello :)))
I also have legion y540 . i bought it a month ago with characteristics:
Intel Core i7-9750HF
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
16 GB RAM
512 SSD
144 Hz IPS

and i have problems with high temperatures- i reach 97 degrees . Can someone explain me how to work with throttlestop.

Maybe you should read the whole thread, where I actually include my settings????

There is a very good article inside the throttlestop download which includes all of the details about how to use it.

R

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hi,

Well, I don't agree with everything he did. I set my cores max a little differently. I also left speed shift at 128 (you can read about this in the article that comes with throttlestop).

I did not change my clamps on the TPL screen, and I made sure to activate speedshift. I also don't think you should disable BD PROCHOT. I need to read up on this but as I recall it prevents throttling in the case of an overheat...which you do NOT want to do.

You can't cause any trouble by following this video - he made more changes than I did...

Try both and then do some stress testing. The only "problem" you can run into is if you go to far on the undervolting and your system crashes. If this happens you just reboot and try again with less extreme settings.

Do not set throttlestop to start when you reboot the computer (per the end of his video with task scheduler). This will allow you to reboot without the software starting. I just start throttlestop whenever I know I am going to be gaming...no big deal.

R

Jun 29, 2020
Hi,

Well, I don't agree with everything he did. I set my cores max a little differently. I also left speed shift at 128 (you can read about this in the article that comes with throttlestop).

I did not change my clamps on the TPL screen, and I made sure to activate speedshift. I also don't think you should disable BD PROCHOT. I need to read up on this but as I recall it prevents throttling in the case of an overheat...which you do NOT want to do.

You can't cause any trouble by following this video - he made more changes than I did...

Try both and then do some stress testing. The only "problem" you can run into is if you go to far on the undervolting and your system crashes. If this happens you just reboot and try again with less extreme settings.

Do not set throttlestop to start when you reboot the computer (per the end of his video with task scheduler). This will allow you to reboot without the software starting. I just start throttlestop whenever I know I am going to be gaming...no big deal.

R

Man, thank you for all the answers. i appreciate that thank you :))) .. im not on laptop now, when i go back will find some information how to work with that. if i have another question can i ask you?