ASUS G50v Start-Up Issues

siriuslupin

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Hi everyone. Last month, my laptop turned off unexpectedly while I was using it. It refused to turn back on until I removed the battery for a few seconds and then reattached it.

Last night, it refused to boot beyond the ASUS "Republic of Gamers" symbol, and once again I had to remove my battery to get it to work.

Should I be concerned? Has anybody had this problem? I'm not sure if it's a battery issue or a hardware/software issue. The hard drive was new last August, so I really hope it's not that.

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
I would personally suspect a battery issue from your description but I am kinda guessing since I have no experience with that model.
I did read that you can use that model without a battery if needed.
I did find this however which I think is a good thing to have bookmarked on a different computer - just in case
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/318551-asus-g50-notebook-disassembly-guide.html
I couldn't find a whole lot about your issue specifically.

hst101rox

Estimable
Aug 28, 2014
I have a g50VT, basically the same as yours except a slightly newer video card.

Did you find a solution? My old laptop is still happily chugging away though the genuine batteries I find on ebay for it suck because they are used since Asus doesn't make the battery anymore and aftermarket batteries, at least the one I tried, seems to have a bug where it doesn't allow the high power consumption that my laptop sometimes demands, through the battery.