Asus G53JW-A1 or G73JW-A1?

blacklight186

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide between purchasing the Asus G53JW-A1 (15.6") or G73JW-A1 (17.3")... I'll be using the laptop primarily for gaming. It is to replace my current 16" Acer Aspire 6920G (1366 x 768).

I was about to purchase the G53; but now thinking about the G73... both are 1920x1080 native res. laptops... Does the additional screen size help a lot in gaming (and does it look better, for the high resolution)?

I would always be using it on a desk; however, I do travel with it sometimes... I've read on the net that the G73 is only sightly bigger and heavier than the g53... In other words, the G53 is oversized... Is this true?

Thanks in advance...! :)

humbe

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
I was pondering the same. The G53 is certainly big for a 15" laptop. However, as far as I can see from pictures of it, there doesn't seem to be excessive amount of space around the screen. It does however have the extended bit in the back.

So I was expecting it to be noticable smaller, but the dimensions as far as I see them are just 2.3 cm deeper, 2.4 cm wider, 0.7 cm taller and 300 grams extra for the G73Jw. And that sounds like a very small part of the total G73 dimensions of 41.5x32x5,7 cm. But maybe it's more noticable actually looking at them and using them.

For the models I'm comparing the G73 has i7-740qm CPU vs i5-460m, in addition to 6 GB memory instead of 4 GB. Both are options for the G53 if you're able to get other G53Jw configurations than I have though. And the G53Jw also have the extra drive space bay, and it sounds like the cooling should be fine even though the chassis is a bit smaller, so I'm not seeing that much of a downside with the G53..

I've kinda decided on the G73 though, as dimensions sounds marginally higher, and the CPU and extra memory for the configurations I'm able to get sounds good.

blacklight186

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
Hi humbe,

The G53JW and G73JW config's i've seen online all have i7-740 QM as default. Hey do not have an i5 option...

The only difference is that the G53 has 6 GB RAM and 1 x 750GB hard disk; while the G73 has 8 GB of RAM and 2 x 500GB hard disk & a Blu-Ray drive...

Are you sure about the models you are referring to?

Thanks.

humbe

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
Yes.. Sadly I'm in Norway.. And distributors in Norway have created one or two models which is all they sell in Norway as far as I can find.

blacklight186

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
how about ordering from the USA from one of the online retailers?

powernotebooks.com, xoticpc.com, gentechpc.com, etc...

personally, i'm getting my G53 from powernotebooks...

humbe

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
I'd totally love to be able to buy it off powernotebooks for instance..

Then I'd be able to configure it the way I want it:
- 8 GB of memory instead of 6 GB.
- Blue ray reader/writer combo drive instead of DVD only drive.
- SDD main drive and Hybrid second drive.
- Windows Premium with install CD instead of Windows Home without it.

And all that for a mere 250 USD more than I pay for the version available here.

But there's several cons for buying from abroad I'm afraid.
- If the firm decides to screw me over it's fairly little I can do about it from Norway.
- If the computer is damaged in shipping, there's a long round trip to send it back. Also probably a very noticable shipping fee.
- Norwegian customs will require me to add 25% to the price in tax, which is 834 USD extra.
- Norway has better user rights than the US, which I won't be able to exercise if I buy from abroad.

But on the other hand. I've never returned hardware I've bought back anyways, so if it came undamaged to me, all would probably be well.

blacklight186

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010

Most of the above shouldn't be a problem; but that customs duty is killing buddy! It's a shame really..

what do you plan on using this laptop for; which kind of programs or games?

lucarade

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
the G73 will perform slightly better in gaming, but this will be barely noticeable cuz the G53 will be able to perform most current games flawlessly. However, in the future, its possible that the G73 does perform a bit better in games. The bigger screen is nice, but its not that much of a difference and i dont think its worth the extra 340 dollars. 15 inch is still fine for gaming and I think that even though its pretty close as to which one is better, the G53 just wins because its a lot cheaper.