Asus G75 Power Failure - Any Thoughts?

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Howdy!

Looks like my old Asus G75 finally decided to fail catastrophically. I have no clue why - I laid it down for the night, and in the morning the entire system refused to boot. I'd thought it was the charger at first, since it won't even give me the amber battery charging light, but a multimeter says it's putting out a good 19.5V. The thing was as dead as dead could be, and I'm baffled.

So far, I've taken the system down twice to every last screw... my i7-3630QM was laying right alongside the rest of the laptop. I was thorough. After the last reassembly, I've worked out something repeatable: with the battery in the system, it gives me the amber charging LED until the power button is pressed, at which point the power LED flashes briefly and the system loses all power. Remove the battery and unplug AC to repeat.

Like most people, I happened to have a first-generation mobile i3 laying around, and I've tried dropping it in just to see if I get any reaction. Nothing changes.

Any thoughts? I'm not really expecting someone to troubleshoot this, and it's probably about time to piece it out and sell it to fund a replacement, but I thought maybe the Asus crew around here might have seen some similar failures. I've never seen a laptop just die overnight like this for no reason.

Much appreciated,
-Matt

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010