Asus G75 Randomly Cutting Power

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jason Ritter

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
Hey guys,

I have an Asus G75 gaming laptop that is approximately 8 months old. As of the past 2.5 weeks I have been having an odd power issue

What happens is:
- Ill be gaming or randomly surfing the internet
- Computer randomly cuts power and turns off
- I hit the power button and it comes back on, occasionally going to CHKDSK first

This happens once every couple of days.

What I have tried:
- Ran a full EuroSoft PC-Check. My SSD & HDD check out, RAM checks out, processor checks out, whatever MOBO tests they run check out.

Now, my suspicions are leading me towards sadly some shortage in the motherboard or something motherboard related. Now what I am wondering is if there is ANY other possibility for this occurring outside of the motherboard? My laptop is not overheating or anything either. There are also no memory dumps.

PC Specs
128 GB Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD
750 GB HDD
Intel i7 2.3 GHZ Processor
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M

Thanks

utilarob

Estimable
Jul 7, 2015
Same problem Asus N750JV.

Only happened 3 times in 9 months, but disturbing still.
It happens anytime. Answering email this time. Definitely not heat related or graphics related. Battery fully charged. Everything normal.

I can hear what sounds like a brief spark at the moment of shutdown. It is not exactly like a forced manual shutdown, pressing the power key for 5 secs. That is more silent.

Anyway, seems to be more or less random when it happens / I would guess this is a design flaw in Asus motherboard-power interface or thereabouts. I guess that is something they could share across many laptop models.

Matheus Secundo

Estimable
Mar 14, 2015

It seems that. Here, after a while, the shutdown happens once every three months .

infamoustr85

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
Im having the same issue. its driving me insane. the most prominent time is when I try to play AOE. I've changed the SSD and it still shuts off. I changed the RAM and it still shuts off. I stress tested the GPU and it was fine. stress tested the CPU and it was fine. I tried playing it while just on battery and it still shuts off. I tried playing it just on power supply and it still shuts off. im lead to believe there is a short somewhere in the motherboard. but before I go & get it repaired/replaced I want to be sure. Is there a way to stress test the motherboard somehow?
if you have any solutions or suggestions please email me at unique_stylz@hotmail.com

apmgaming

Estimable
Aug 22, 2015
I have the same issue and I believe it to be the Motherboard's design issue with the g75 series. There is a short or a problem with voltage control where it will shut off power randomly as the GPU draws more power. The power brick that comes with the laptop, in theory, should be plenty so it is not a simple power issue.

My partial solution was installing MSI Afterburner and down-clocking the GPU so it uses less voltage.
Core clock of around 480-520 MHz and memory clock according to your need (probably wouldn't make a huge impact on the power it draws). I just use 1500 MHz, but quite often you won't take a huge performance hit with using x2 core clock value.
Test it out and see what works best for you.

It still shuts down from time to time during gaming (perhaps 1-2 times a month), but it is far less frequent.
You can even lower the clock further and bring your laptop to stable.

To be quite frank, ASUS should have recalled the specific laptop series. Most, if not all, of g75 users seem to be running into the same problem after 3+ months of use.

infamoustr85

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
Thanks apmgaming. I've been running that for a while as my temp solution as well. It still shuts off but nowhere near what it used to. We found that when it runs on just the battery it works fine (no msi afterburner needed), as soon as you plug in the ac adapter it shuts off. (and no the power supply is not faulty as i tried another new one)

I hope this little extra information helps as i think we all are frustrated with this.

makery

Estimable
Jul 18, 2015
Tragic outcome for the G75w series of gaming laptops by ASUS. My belief from years... yes, years of trying to fix my daughters g75w is that ASUS knew of the problems early on in the retail sales of the laptops but decided to not recall the laptops. The problem most likely is a bios issue together with a bad run of motherboards. Some people were lucky and a new bios update fixed the problem. However it seems that a percentage that ASUS is comfortable with received motherboards that had some slight flaw that upgrading bios could not work around. For those of us with the bad boards we will get a never ending 9:59 countdown to restart anytime the laptop is first turned on or if it goes into power saving sleep mode and is woke up. Once the restart has happened one can spend the whole day with no problem till the next time it is turned on from off or sleep. There are a few very hard to find postings on some other fixes that may work if you can hear a switch tripping just before the reboot. A few are for manually changing setting that looked complicated as one needed to really know what they were doing. And one was replacing the battery plug charging port. The person did not know exactly why it worked but it did for them as their problem started with the battery dying and not recharging even if a new battery was installed.
Personally I will never do ASUS again for anything. I build my daughter an X99 system for Christmas of 2014 with an the X99 Deluxe and it too has some odd issues that ASUS will not admit to as being a design flaw. However a person on Youtube spent close to a thousand dollars and many months to track the problem down to the bios to windows handshake pass off being stopped because of a slight voltage draw from the back usb ports. After hearing this persons story I have decided to just fork over $500 and pick her up a new mb from MSI and move on from ASUS. In time enough people will be burned by them and will start voicing anger that they will either have to change their ways and admit a problem and exchange via a recall the bad items or face people just not buying their products.
In closing my best advise for everyone who has the restart at 10 minute problem is this. Put in an low cost 240gb ssd with windows 10 and back it up daily. You will get about 4 months before the restarts kill the ssd and you will have to start all over with a new ssd. At least the ssd with windows 10 will give you very fast restarting.
Good luck to everyone surviving till you can pick up a new laptop... I'd suggest msi.

makery...

ChakalGat101

Estimable
Oct 18, 2015

Ok I own the same computer and had the same issue. The Rig seems to be kinda "alergic" with older games. The random cut off occured more often in arma 2 than Arma 3... I dont know why?? ... But

I manage to spread the random cut off from hours to... months by doing this.

Downlaad the MSI afterburner application and set you Core Clock from 620 to 512 and adjust your memory clock at 1500.Dont forget to check the "Apply overclock (downclock in this case) at startup...!

I also notice that the random cut off occured more often with the backlight of the keyborad is on. Shut it off and the rig will be kinda rock stable!.

Dont know why but this laptop is very performant but but there is an electrical switch somewhere that cut off the system for no reason if you try to run it with his "out of the box" specifications...

Chakal.

Some Hawkins

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015
Same stupid issue, using one of Asus's ROG models. The problem only occurs on a once-a-month basis, but my laptop does not travel and remains plugged in fairly often. The power loss problem most frequently comes some time after running it on battery and plugging it back in. Or shutting it off for a time, then starting it up again. I have only experienced the problem while plugged in, never while on battery.

Unfortunately I have to shut the laptop off for windows updates, so I am (as far as I can tell) forced to set myself up for a secret power-loss error on a permanent basis.

The power loss problem happens irrelevant of task load. Usually I'm on IRC (takes up like, kb's) but I've had it do this while surfing via Chrome or just now playing Fallout 4. It's definitely not load-related.

My machine is maybe 1.5 years old and I use it lightly and with care. Other than changing from battery power back to AC, there appears to be zero correlation between activities, time after plugging in, and power loss. It is madness and I am not purchasing ASUS again knowing this is an irreparable issue.

A computer's first task is to stay on, before it can do anything else. This must be a little embarrassing.

sondeep

Estimable
Feb 1, 2016
Dear all,

I got the solution. It is because of one corrupted RAM. Just open the cover at the back an remove extra RAM. It will work perfectly. No more sudden shut downs.

You can also try installing the RAMS again and it may work again. But for sure your laptop will be new again. :)

Carl_13

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
So I tried the removing extra RAM fix as sondeep suggested and it worked. I had one reset in 2 weeks where normally i would have 1 every 2 days at least. :) I might try reseating it again but for now i'm really happy. Thanks sondeep!

miigotu

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016
I have experienced this problem and finally found the problem. I'm running ubuntu linux on the GL752VW.

After a few months of the laptop shutting down during my Dallas Cowboys games, I got irritated and decided to dismantle the laptop. What I found was that the posts that the heat dissipating plates and heat pipe screw down to are soldered onto the top of the motherboard, and that solder had broken. This causes the copper plates on the heat pipe to not be in proper contact with the processor and graphic chip, and they overheat, which, depending on the amount of contact the plate has at any time can reach a critical temperature so fast that the overheating is not even registered in software before the bios panics and shuts it down.

I noticed in linux when running `watch -n1 sensors` that the temperatures fluctuated a lot and the fan was loud (3500RPM constant). Now they stay stable at around 44C and fan at a low 1900RPM.

If you follow this and break your laptop, you get to keep both pieces, I am not responsible.

glvqq1.jpg

Um3hPA.jpg

I removed them, cleaned the chips and heat plates:
j1Gpi5.jpg

7m98c7.jpg

Added some good thermal compound (Forgot to take a pic)

And then I placed the `nuts` that the screws go into on the underside of the motherboard, rather than re-solder them and risk them coming loose again. Just be sure to add some tape to shield them, since I am not sure if there is a risk if they hit the underside of the keyboard.

KTDRxu.jpg

lFI41R.jpg

oEebsL.jpg

Hope it helps someone.

Daniel_512

Prominent
May 8, 2017

hi. im use your solution with afterburner and all is working perfect :) with core clock 512 Mhz
thanks