Asus G75 Randomly Cutting Power

Jason Ritter

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
Hey guys,

I have an Asus G75 gaming laptop that is approximately 8 months old. As of the past 2.5 weeks I have been having an odd power issue

What happens is:
- Ill be gaming or randomly surfing the internet
- Computer randomly cuts power and turns off
- I hit the power button and it comes back on, occasionally going to CHKDSK first

This happens once every couple of days.

What I have tried:
- Ran a full EuroSoft PC-Check. My SSD & HDD check out, RAM checks out, processor checks out, whatever MOBO tests they run check out.

Now, my suspicions are leading me towards sadly some shortage in the motherboard or something motherboard related. Now what I am wondering is if there is ANY other possibility for this occurring outside of the motherboard? My laptop is not overheating or anything either. There are also no memory dumps.

PC Specs
128 GB Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD
750 GB HDD
Intel i7 2.3 GHZ Processor
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M

Thanks

Jason Ritter

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013

It is plugged in. I dont believe it is overheating. I mainly think this because it seems the fans are going alright, and it has happened one time within around 10 minutes of powering on. I blow out the fans with a compressed air canister occasionally as well.

GPU Temp is maxing at around 69º C
Highest temp on any of the 4 processor cores is around 70º C

invisibilian

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Alright then, that eliminated the possibility of overheating. you probably want to head to ASUS website downloading and installing all the latest drivers. I myself had weird issues with my ASUS z87 motherboard until I updated the BIOS.

Asus_Fred

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
I'm not so sure that drivers would help too much in this case. Since the unit is physically shutting off I would think its more related to some sort of hardware issue. Its still possible that the unit is overheating. How often is this happening and do you notice any patterns? Does it only happen when there is heavy use, gaming, etc? If you like please send me an email at cl-fred@asus.com so I can get further details and we can try to troubleshoot it.

Jason Ritter

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013

E-mailed, thank you.

I also repaired a corrupt service via 'sfc /scannow' and installed an updated driver for my GFX card. Not going to hold my breath on this but on the 1% chance its software related.. we will see..

mikechid

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
I have the same problem with an Asus U56E laptop. This forum makes it sounds like it needs a new motherboard:
http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asus-u56e-laptop-randomly-reboots-except-when-fireworks-from-winning-spider-solitare-is-running.187107/

Nadova

Estimable
Mar 15, 2014
Hi, just some additional information. I have a G75 too, which shuts down all of a sudden. Thing is, once it shuts down and I restart it, it can run for 5-6 days in a row (if I don't shut it down manually, that is and that's the longest I've managed to keep it running).

I think that too is a bit weird, right....? Somebody else who did notice that?

asgerknudsen

Estimable
Sep 30, 2014

I have the same problem :( I used to have it, like 3 months ago, 1 month before my guarantee ran out. I didn't have that much and then my harddisk broke. got it prepared, but I still have this random crashing (and turning on by itself), so it isn't software or driver related.

Chakal101

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014
I have exactly the same problem here. My G75 is powering of by itself...just like if Im holding the power button for 5 seconds; everything die suddenly.

Since it only happen while gaming, I think this is must be related with the videocard (GTX 670); maybe the 3 GB of ram is not managed properly as if it would be with 2 GB or 4 Gb (binary thing)...

Like I said, for me it only occur while gaming. Can watch Neflix for hours and then Launch a game...power off.

It happen to me in every games I played on this laptop but some games are kinda more "resistant"...

Arma 3 is kinda stable... Powering off occur more often on Arma 2 (Dayz Overwatch mod) ; I even see differences between servers. On specific server...at a specific spot (balotata for instance) ... I go around on of the building threre... and as soon as I look through an hole in a chainlink fence... it shut off!... and it doenst do this at the same place, doing the same thing on a different server...

really weird.

Jscho

Estimable
Oct 6, 2014
I also have exactly the same problem. G75VW (2012)

Tried fresh re-install of windows 7, ran memtest86+, swapped SDD's, tried with battery only/different power bricks. No difference in performance really.

No overheating, no memory dumps, very random issue. Sometimes will drop out immediately on opening chrome after startup with minimal load on the system, sometimes will drop out after playing a game or doing graphics work at full bore for hours.

Trying to beat up the ASUS customer service rep to comp some kind of repair.

Anyone have any ideas?

Chakal101

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014

Dunno if it is a solution, but for now my system is rock solid for two weeks now.

Here is my settings:

1)- GPU Drivers Nvidia version 337.88.
2) I've Uninstalled the PhysX drivers.
3) Installed MSI Afterburner
4)In MSI Afterburner, tweek down the CoreClock from 620 to 512 Mhz... and let the application run in the background while gaming.

Do not shutdown the computer; live it on sleep mode with the screen down when you dont need it.

If you have to reboot you laptop, do the step 4 again cause the reboot will bring back the CoreClock at 620.

Scrufy

Estimable
Nov 13, 2014
I have a 2012 G75VW also. Mine was rock solid until last week when I installed GPUtweak from Asus. I over locked it to only 650 and now even after resetting everything to default (620) it reboots randomly. I don't think the core clock actually went back to standard.
Definitely a relation to installing GPUtweak in my case.

Jscho

Estimable
Oct 6, 2014
Chakal- Thanks for the potential solution. My box is back at ASUS currently, they think the Mobo is fried, and are trying to pin the $200 repair charge on me. I don't necessarily trust that spending the money will fix the problem, but I'll probably just risk it. If that fails, I'll try your solution.

Personally not super happy with ASUS, since my problem has existed since 1 mo. after purchase, but was not bad enough initially to warrant sending the unit back.

I recommend that anyone having this issue, and is still under warranty, contact ASUS before your warranty is up.

Jscho

Estimable
Oct 6, 2014
If you are out of warranty, I do not recommend sending the computer to ASUS for repairs. They could not diagnose this problem, charged me $200, and returned a the laptop to me. The computer now will not stay on for more than about 2-10 minutes, so it is effectively bricked.

Matheus Secundo

Estimable
Mar 14, 2015

Hi, i am brazilian and have 17 years, i have the same problem, I discovered the problem after 3 months. The problem or is in the chipset drives or probably is the lack of (Grounding pin http://www.travelingeast.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Power-plug-type-BAmerica-plugJapan-plug.jpg). if the problem is the last quoted it will continue shuting down but the pace will slow down over time and become stable, never to turn off. Try the two solutions.