ASUS G751J vs Alienware 15

spacemanspiff408

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015
Need help choosing one of these two gaming laptops

Hello all,
I am in the market for a new gaming laptop and i am torn between the ASUS 17.3" G751JT-DH72 and Alienware 15.6 Epic Silver. Both have pretty similar specs,e ach have a 970m and 16gb of ram, the only difference is the price and storage options. The asus comes with a 2TB 7,200 rpm drive and the alienware has a 128 m2 ssd and a 1TB 5400RPM.

I would buy the asus new for $1,799 + tax (i live in canada) or i can get the slightly smaller alienware for $1550 unopened new without tax. It seems like a no brainer to get the cheaper alienware with the m2 ssd, but i have never owned an alienware and i have heard amazing things about the asus.

I think heat is the biggest factor of all, but i like the m2 ssd on the alienware and the 17" screen on the asus.

So i'd appreciate any suggestions.

psycrow395

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012
hello there i was in your same position until i went to the official republic of gamers forums and heard nothing but problems with the g751 sereis of 17 inch gaming laptops so i decided to go with another brand instead i have never used an alienware but they used to be really reliable gaming pc's but since dell bought them out i dont know. now what your choice should come down to is this what screen size you want? 17 inch or 15 inch the 17 inch will be more bulky and it will weigh more so if you plan on taking it places alot it will become a heavy annoyance whereas a 15 inch laptop is more portable and easy to carry around. as they say most 17 inch laptops are desktop replacements. now the alienware has more storage options stock but i know for a fact that the ASUS is fully upgradeable to 32gb of ram and you can add an SSD on top of the 2tb hdd not sure about the alienwares upgrade ability. now i have 5 games and several programs installed on my desktop 250gb SSD and its the perfect size i personally think the 128gb SSD are for non gamers anyways hope this helps would love to hear what you decide

spacemanspiff408

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015
thanks for the reply, it really helped a lot.
I thought long and hard about the asus and 15" seemed a better fit all round in terms of size and weight. I just got it and its really sweet! I replaced the hdd with an ssd and it runs titanfall on ultra better than my r9 280x rig, haven't benchmarked yet, but the best part is the cooling. I played for an hour and some and it stayed unbelievably cool, the fans were barely audible.

Unfortunately 16gb of ram is the max so my ramdisk dreams are postponed very much indefinitely. As for the diminutive m.2 ssd, i have decided to buy another and run them in raid0 which would give me somewhere around 250 as a single volume and my secondary ssd for the rest. I am really thrilled with my purchase, thanks a bunch.

spacemanspiff408

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

well not necessarily, depends on what products you are comparing