Asus G75VX laptop want to solely run windows 7 on it

Blackarachnia

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
Sorry if this is in the wrong department...

https://www.asus.com/ROG/G75VX/

I wanted to have windows 7 on it, bought an OEM home premium.

Trying to hopefully make it work, I've tried different thinks like making a partition with Windows 7...

I cannot access internet, yellow exclamation points. There are no details in Properties to figure out what ethernet card I have (or wireless card). using SPECCY didn't help me figure that out...

I played with windows 8 for 2 hours, and just don't like it....besides my job doesn't support Windows 8....

Please tell me what to do.
Can it be done? I don't have a problem doing a factory restore...since I didn't get far anyways..
Do I return it to Best Buy and cry about it?

I truly appreciate your time and suggestions!

Eugen M

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
If you want win7 only then u have to do a full format, its the cleanest and quickest way to achieve this.
Save any important file, if your OS and drivers come with 1 or more iso file instead of cds, backup those iso files aswell, fully format your hdd and install win7, its that simple

Blackarachnia

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
If it's simple, then how come I couldn't figure it out? LoL

since laptop comes with OS Win 8, I didn't create any backup disk.

OS Win 7 is on disk format.

What do I do to make this happen? I'm sorry, I'm not too bright in this area. I was hoping it was fairly simply instead of burying myself in a deeper hole.

dodger46

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

With the Installation disk in your drive, get into your BIOS (Setup) to change you boot device to DVD 1st (There may be an F key available on power on to change boot order). When invited, tap key to boot from disk. Progress to the screen 'Where do you want to install Windows' Choose 'Drive Options (Advanced)' Here you can format the Windows 8 partitions, but I would leave the Recovery Partition in case you want to re-install 8 later. Once formatted, install Win 7 on the formatted partition. Windows will install basic drivers to get your laptop running, but you'll need to refine them by downloading from Asus. Snag is, only Win 8 drivers provided, so if they don't work you'll need to open Device Manager to see what devices have yellow exclamation marks and search for drivers individually using the VEN numbers. Personally, I would persevere with 8, it's fine once you get used to it...
Edit
I see you have an SSD which is where you will find Windows 8 installed, look for that when you install 7...

Eugen M

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

As dodger suggests, its irrational to think you can format a hard drive when you are using it for formating, how would you be able to format something when you are currently using it? accessing windows and formating it at the same time would be as logical as repairing an engine in a race car... racing.

follow the steps of dodger, and make sure that you do have a windows 8 recovery cd, if you do not then leave that partition intact, if you do then erase it as its pointlessly ocupying space, i hardly think you will ever feel the urge to go back to win8, ive got both 7 and 8 and tbh most of the times i ask myself why did i even waste 15€ for it... not even windows blue service pack will make it any better, it will just make it look more like a win8 phone, but i digress.

If you are not sure or dont have the recovery CD then leave the partition alone and format as dodger said.

Blackarachnia

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
You're right Eugen, can't format... I tried booting from the disk and it worried me that there was no evidence of Win 8 on the hard drive once I got into the Advance stuff.

Dodger, since the system doesn't tell me what the hard ware is, just ethernet connection yellow exclamation point, which is not very helpful -I'm still within return policy time at Best Buy... I did some searching on BB website, they have a refurbished G75VW -i`ll just do that. I've been going around in circles with this VX since Wednesday.

Thank you so very very very much to everyone!

Deyna C

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013

u
You can upgrade to 8 pro OR
disable secure boot and CSM to turn on legacy in the bios.
Mess with that and it should work.
If you don't know about the bios then I suggest to stick with W8,sorry.

Eugen M

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

if you really dont know how to format it and reinstall all the necessary drivers, either take it to a store to do it for you or return it, its not exactly easy to help you online with this issue, sorry.
All in all, windows 8 wont solve this dilema at all.