Asus G760jm black screen on startup with clicks dvd drive

brujahbattalion

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Laptop won't start up. I get a black screen with no bios, logo or other image. The fans are running and I can hear the hard drive running. It did this a couple times before but after a restart worked fine. This time restarting doesn't help.

The dvd drive (not hard drive) continually makes a clicking noise as if it's trying to read a disk but the drive is empty.

I tried cleaning and lubricating the dvd drive. When I open the dvd drive it seems to be getting stuck in the middle. Cleaning helped but it still seems to stop in the middle.

I tried physically removing the dvd drive before powering on but I get the same black startup screen and no bios so I can't enter safemode.

I also tried booting without hard drives, without battery and without ram. As soon as you press the powet button the dvd drive starts clicking about once a second. No beeps and the screen stays off. No logos, windows or anything. The power and charging light are on. The HD and network lights flicker after every dvd drive click. The caps and num lock dont respond.

Any ideas? Is there a way to boot without the dvd drive? I dont want to but a replacement drive if it could be something else. Google doesn't seem to have the answers. Thanks!

It sounds like the computer is running, just not the display. Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

brujahbattalion

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017

Thanks for the idea! The keyboard isn't responding (it's backlight is off) and the caps lock key doesn't work. That makes me think it may be something else. The dvd drive immediately starts clicking when i press the power button. What do you think?

brujahbattalion

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017

I tried using an external monitor and got nothing. I also tried using a flashlight to see if anything appeared on the laptop monitor and got nothing. Hmm... Maybe later today if it isn't fixed I'll take a video of the issue.