ASUS K43S: SSD worth it?

jiewmeng

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I have an ASUS K43S. Am not sure which model is it exactly but looking at a few of models from the series, I believe they all have SATA1 (3GBps). So am wondering if a SSD upgrade will be worth it? Most importantly, it should work. At least with the older SSD's I think SATA1 or 2 doesn't make a difference? Crucial M4 128GB OK?

Solution

My new system (in my sig.) is down for repairs. I am writing this on my older Windows XP machine which uses an Abit NF7-S MB and 2 90 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSDs in a RAID 0 array. The RAID array is really not that useful for SSDs but I bring this up because my old MB is a SATA I MB with 150 MB/S speeds. The OCZ Vertex 2 SSDs are SATA II drives.

I recently ran CrystalDisk Mark on my RAID array and the...

Y0GI

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

My new system (in my sig.) is down for repairs. I am writing this on my older Windows XP machine which uses an Abit NF7-S MB and 2 90 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSDs in a RAID 0 array. The RAID array is really not that useful for SSDs but I bring this up because my old MB is a SATA I MB with 150 MB/S speeds. The OCZ Vertex 2 SSDs are SATA II drives.

I recently ran CrystalDisk Mark on my RAID array and the installed PATA WD 120 GB HDD for comparison. The SSDs were MUCH faster! So, yes, there is a benefit to using newer SSDs even on a SATA I system. BTW, all versions of SATA are backwards compatible so don't worry about that.

The Crucial M4's are very good SSDs, however, there are newer, faster products on the market. Check out this story about the new Samsung EVO SSDs which also has many additional SSDs included in the review for comparison purposes: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-840-evo-review-1tb-ssd,3567.html

Good luck!

Yogi

Solution

yhikum

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
SSD is worth it, no matter what speed of CPU you have, nor even if you have SATA 1.

With SATA 2 and 3 you'll see faster transfer speeds. SATA 1 will at not give you fast transfer speeds, but will still provide with very fast access times. And that of itself worth upgrade.

Later you can take your SSD you used before and use it in more modern computer to get all the benefits.

SSD usually improve performance dramatically. Think as CPU used to improve speed alot, now it is time for SSD drives.

jiewmeng

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

By transfer speeds, do you mean write or something else?