Asus laptop battery charges slowly, then suddenly went up to 100%

hilmy_99999

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
I just bought a new battery for my asus x450j. the battery indicator turned green after i charge it for 1 hour. When i turn on my laptop it turns out the battery was only at 58%, and the indicator went red again. i unplugged the charger to let it go down at 55% then plug it on again. It charged very slowly. After 58%, suddenly it went to 100%. But if i unplug the charger, it went back to 58%, and will go up to 100% again if i do the same thing.

Is this the battery problem?

Solution
I would initially think its a bad battery, is it a 3rd party one? Also do you have some sort of battery saver option on? I know on some of the laptops I own, you can set your comp to only charge up to a certain percentage, might want to check that. Could also be a bad brick on your charger? Generally when a battery charges super fast it means the batter is on it's last legs.

hilmy_99999

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
i got a replacement, but still the same. Even the replacement only reached 48%.
Should bring this to a service centre? I'm afraid the problem is actually on my laptop.

bigguyjake

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
I would initially think its a bad battery, is it a 3rd party one? Also do you have some sort of battery saver option on? I know on some of the laptops I own, you can set your comp to only charge up to a certain percentage, might want to check that. Could also be a bad brick on your charger? Generally when a battery charges super fast it means the batter is on it's last legs.

Solution