ASUS laptop display gone total black.

Limyx826

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
I currently having a problem that may happen sometime though not often. When I was away for some time like a few minutes, the display will gone totally black. It is not display turn off because the backlight is functioning correctly.

When that happen no command or any input can be made. From the led indicator the system seems like still running. My solution to this is to force power off and restart.

From the windows logs after reboot it shows that display driver stopped responding and successfully recovered. In the past when that happen is that the screen gone black for a while and recover. This time however is that no matter how long I wait the screen will not recover.

SYSTEM SPECIFICATION
ASUS A43SA
Intel Core i5-2430M, 2.4GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6730M, 2GB
4+2GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Solution
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Solution