Asus Laptop Keyboard Problem

Tigris623

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
Hello all,

I have a 4-year-old asus A45V laptop. For few weeks I have faced an annoying issue, which the keyboard would stop working. I checked in the device manager and it shows that it is working properly.

Sometimes I uninstall the driver and restart the computer, the keyboard works again - but it could stop working anytime soon, or work perfectly throughout the day.

Sometimes, when I am not using the keyboard (watching movie or listening to music), I leave computer there for a moment, sometimes it would start working again after a while.

Something I discover when the keyboard is not working: I have set my touchpad (smart gesture) disabled when there is a mouse plugged in, so I could see the smart gesture icon with a red disabled thingy on taskbar when I log in my computer. Whenever
asus-smart-gesture-05.png

the icon did not show the red thingy. (Note: both of the images are google images), I would know that the keyboard would stop working anytime soon.

Normally, [Asus Touchpad] should be in charge of the smart gesture. Interestingly, whenever the keyboard is not working, Synaptics (touchpad) driver would show error, and I could only find [Asus touchpad] driver under hidden devices.

I have then uninstalled Synaptics driver so that it won't take over asus touchpad driver, and hopefully it won't cause problem. However, the problem still persists.

In fact, while typing these text, my keyboard had stopped working a few times, ranging from seconds to 1 minute.

Background information: Windows 10, I had my keyboard replaced by a repair shop 6 months ago.

I apologise for the long text, I am just trying to be as detail as possible. Any help would be appreciated. Please let me know if you need more information.

Solution
Which drivers do I download? I do not see any options for Win10.
Which means it shouldn't be running Windows 10 in the first place and the reason you're here asking for support.

Regardless, you can try and download both the Synaptics and Elantech touchpad drivers found under the pointing device's drop down menu and install them in compatibility mode:
Right click installer>Compatibility tab>Windows 7/8 from drop down menu and see if the installation takes place.

Like I've said previously, either drivers will install even if the hardware doesn't correspond, some trial and error is needed since the guys at Asus tend to make various models under the same series and often have revision/re-revisions with Synaptics or...

Lutfij

Splendid
Although both the images are Google images, can you please state which OS you're on at the moment? Are you sure you've downloaded and installed the right drivers for your platform? I've worked with Asus mobile computing devices and some come bundled with ALPS touchpad/keyboard units while others come with Synaptics. Often either drivers will install on either platform but will give you the issue you're seeing, i.e intermittently not working when you want it to.

You'll find your drivers from their support site, located here.

Tigris623

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017

Thank you for your response, and thank you for the link. I am using Windows 10 Home Single Language x64, which leads to my next question regarding the link that you have sent me:

Thank you in advance.

Lutfij

Splendid
Which means it shouldn't be running Windows 10 in the first place and the reason you're here asking for support.

Regardless, you can try and download both the Synaptics and Elantech touchpad drivers found under the pointing device's drop down menu and install them in compatibility mode:
Right click installer>Compatibility tab>Windows 7/8 from drop down menu and see if the installation takes place.

Like I've said previously, either drivers will install even if the hardware doesn't correspond, some trial and error is needed since the guys at Asus tend to make various models under the same series and often have revision/re-revisions with Synaptics or Elantech pointing devices.

You're welcome though just trying to help.

Solution