Asus Laptop Overheating

rgbarishian

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017
I have a Asus Zenbook UX32 VD that runs hot for no reason. I bought it used a year ago but it started to act up a couple months ago. Just light usage (a couple of chrome tabs open) causes the CPU temp to sit at 65 degrees. This is with the fans blowing. It is in low power mode. I use Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework settings to limit TDP to 13 Watts (max TDP is 17W) when in this mode. HW Monitor shows the clocks holding at 800 MHz and low CPU usage and no GPU usage but its temp is also 62 degrees. Even when the fans kick up to max, the temp only drops 5-10 degrees and will turn off but turn back on right after. I've looked at similar threads and think it may be a thermal paste issue or a fan issue.

Specs:
CPU: I7-3517U (dual core)
GPU: GT 620M
RAM (Upgraded to 10 GB)

Solution
Most likely that the thermal paste has dried out and needs replacing. Another thing you could look for is programs that have been installed through windows update. Also look at the current programs that are running while the tabs are open to make sure nothing is running when it shouldn't
Most likely that the thermal paste has dried out and needs replacing. Another thing you could look for is programs that have been installed through windows update. Also look at the current programs that are running while the tabs are open to make sure nothing is running when it shouldn't

Solution