Asus Laptop with Turtle Beach X12 Combo Jack Issue

randomnoob55

Estimable
Aug 12, 2015
I recently purchased a new ASUS ROG GL551JW-DS71 and am having trouble getting my Turtle Beach X12s to work with it. The headset is fully functional.

I purchased a splitter/adapter to connect to the combo jack. I can hear everything just fine, but the mic is not getting picked up by the laptop.
I noticed this seems to be a common issue but I was not able to find a solution.

Under sounds and recording devices there is only the default microphone and the disabled stereo mix.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Solution
I don't think you can use one of those adapters with a combo jack; the jack already supports both audio-in and audio-out devices, just not at the same time.

I could have it wrong, but my impression has been that these types of splitters/adapters are meant more for jacks that only support audio-out/playback.

This has been the crux with this combo jack design for awhile. The most common workaround I see is people purchasing a USB audio adapter, something along these lines: https://www.asus.com/Sound/Xonar_U3/

That has independent audio-out and audio/mic-in ports.
I don't think you can use one of those adapters with a combo jack; the jack already supports both audio-in and audio-out devices, just not at the same time.

I could have it wrong, but my impression has been that these types of splitters/adapters are meant more for jacks that only support audio-out/playback.

This has been the crux with this combo jack design for awhile. The most common workaround I see is people purchasing a USB audio adapter, something along these lines: https://www.asus.com/Sound/Xonar_U3/

That has independent audio-out and audio/mic-in ports.

Solution

randomnoob55

Estimable
Aug 12, 2015

So they combined both jacks, but didn't make it possible for both functionalities at the same time? Wonder who made that decision.....

That unfortunate because I don't have enough USB slots to accommodate
another one.

Thank you for the response