Asus Multiple days of Standby Problem

TipsyMcStagger

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I had a UX31A with a solid state drive. When I closed the lid, it would go into sleep mode. Opening the lid would resume from sleep within a couple of seconds. There was a widget on the desktop that would show how long, in days, (often upwards of 16 days) the battery would last in standby. I think this was called "Instant On."

The UX31A was damaged during warranty repair and I now have an AsusPro B400A (also known as a BU400A), also with a SSD and Win7. This machine also has a battery widget on the desktop but it only seems to allow for selection between "battery saving" and "high performance."

I have power management adjusted to sleep when the lid is closed. The machine will awaken from sleep within a couple of seconds after opening the lid (though sometimes the mouse cursor is frozen, which is a topic for a separate thread). However, if I close the lid and leave it in sleep for several hours, the battery becomes depleted. There is a Win7 power option to hibernate when closing the lid, but the awake from hibernate takes much longer than awake from sleep.

Is there some kind of utility or setting I'm overlooking to replicate the sleep and battery performance I had with my previous UX31A?

TIA.

Tipsy

TipsyMcStagger

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I haven't yet spoken with Asus but in doing more research, it appears "Instant On" might be a feature not compatible with this model, much to my dismay.

Tipsy

TipsyMcStagger

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I think I got it solved! I went to the Asus support site for the UX31A and found a download for "Instant On" (I think it was listed under "Utilities").

I installed this utility and my B400A now has multiple days of stand by indicates on the desktop and the battery seems to be holding. Resume took only a second or two!

Tipsy