Solved! ASUS N550JV Not Charging Despite Replacing Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsuba

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
To preface- yes, I've tried all the troubleshooting methods for potential battery issues, with unfortunately no results.
The first indication of a problem was the message "your laptop is plugged in, but not charging".
At first, I thought this might've been exclusively an AC adapter issue since my adapter had been making unusual whirring noises at the time, so I bought a replacement. The problems still continued, and eventually my laptop just died because it had no power source.
Instead, I got two different types of signals from the orange battery light:
- When the computer was on, regardless of being plugged in, it was constantly blinking.
- When I attempted to plug in the AC adapter when it was shut off, the light turned a solid orange for about 3 seconds before turning off again. This did not happen consistently, most of the time the light doesn't turn on at all.

Rebooting by holding the power button for 20 seconds did nothing. Some other sources said to hold it down for a full minute, which I've also tried, but to no response.
I opened up the laptop and removed the battery. Using the AC adapter as my main power source also did nothing. The RAM sticks also look like they are properly seated, though admittedly I've only been using this tutorial video as a reference, and don't know if it's completely accurate.

From other threads I've read, a potential solution to the problem was either discharging the battery or replacing it altogether. I read up on risks related to discharging batteries, and rather than take the chance of damaging the laptop even further, I opted to buy a new battery as a last-ditch effort.

I managed to get the battery to 30% charge before it stopped charging and the same issues repeated again. The same "plugged in but not charging" message was at the bottom, though adjusting the adapter in the port would, for a fraction of a second, make the "battery charging" symbol appear. It may be unrelated, but on occasion, the act of just plugging the AC adapter in would turn the laptop on, without pressing the power button or any other keys. Now that the power's completely out, it's the only way I can turn on the computer, if only for a few seconds before it shuts off again.
The laptop is currently out of power, will not charge under any conditions, and will not give any kind of response, except for the aforementioned 3 second solid light and briefly turning on when plugged in.
The most frustrating part of this is that I now know my laptop is capable of charging, but it does it extremely selectively or not at all.

To summarize, I know the charger and battery can't be defective since they've both been recently replaced with the same problems persisting.

I've seen many others have similar issues with their laptops, but without these last few details, so I wanted to be as specific as possible to narrow down potential solutions.
Considering I've replaced both the battery and the AC adapter, I'm led to believe it may be an issue with the charging port itself.

Tsuba

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017

Do any of the problems I had point towards which it might be?
Also, if I am supposed to replace the port or the motherboard, are there any DIY guides here or would it be better if I just sent it in to a technician?

Status
Not open for further replies.