ASUS N56VZ Hinge Problem

snake68

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong category. Feel free to move it if necessary.

I purchased my ASUS N56VZ in back in 2012. It's a nice laptop performance-wise, but ASUS is not the best brand when it comes to quality of body parts.

The lid was a little hard to open from the beginning. Last night when I tried to open the lid, one of the hinges got misplaced somehow and I noticed that one of the screws fell down from the bottom (the one close to right hinge). Afterwards when I tried to put back the screws on the bottom of laptop, it just kept spinning and spinning. It's so bad that whenever I open/close the lid, the damn hinge gets misplaced and I have to put it back in place.

As you may have noticed warranty is void after 4 years so I have to get my own hands dirty. Replacing the bottom housing sounds ridiculous for such a small problem. So any ideas what should I do?

PS: Do you happen to know what type of screws are used in this model in case screws need replacing?

Thanks.

Solution
if the screws are spinning, the threads are gone.
I have fixed this before on a different laptop. JB quick a two part epoxy that sets fast. disassemble the laptop and gain access to the stripped part. mix and put a small amount in the screw hole. coat the screw with cooking spray, oil, etc and set the screw. after 10 minutes the epoxy should be set and you can remove the screw. the threads will now be replaced and the screw will now tighten. if you forget the oil the screw will not come out again, ever. the oil is important, and even with the oil it may not release.

the only other option I can think of would be to buy a scrap laptop of the same model and strip for the parts.

if the screw is gone. the other hinge will have the same...

R_1

Estimable
Herald
if the screws are spinning, the threads are gone.
I have fixed this before on a different laptop. JB quick a two part epoxy that sets fast. disassemble the laptop and gain access to the stripped part. mix and put a small amount in the screw hole. coat the screw with cooking spray, oil, etc and set the screw. after 10 minutes the epoxy should be set and you can remove the screw. the threads will now be replaced and the screw will now tighten. if you forget the oil the screw will not come out again, ever. the oil is important, and even with the oil it may not release.

the only other option I can think of would be to buy a scrap laptop of the same model and strip for the parts.

if the screw is gone. the other hinge will have the same size screw, you can remove and use that as a guide.

Solution

snake68

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013

Dear Wouter C,
Sorry to hear it, f**k ASUS!
I'm afraid there's no other fix other than the one mentioned above. I haven't tried it myself since I have a valuable SSD inside and I won't risk having it shut tight forever. I'm putting up with it for now. Let me know if you came across another solution.